Slack šŸ—‚ šŸ’» - WORK

We have Office365 at work but no one liked Teams nor even tried. We also tried Skype business but it too didnt work. Its because our mail desktop OS is Linux. What I heard is Slack has very good customer support.

I think Ms and Slack both will share market.
Threat will be some opensource software, donā€™t know if there is one already.

Thereā€™s a few out there, the one that comes to mind first is Mattermost.

Developers can get a really decent setup, and forgo a lot of paid for services if they switch to Gitlab. Anecdotally I use Gitlab a lot, but for whatever reason havenā€™t switched out Slack for Mattermost, but then I still use Skype as it does somethings better than Slack.

1 Like

Slack confidentially files to go public - CNBC

6 Likes

ā€œconfidentiallyā€

:thinking:

2 Likes

Mattermost Raises $20 Million Series A Funding to Bring High-Trust Messaging to Security-Conscious Enterprises

1 Like

Thereā€™s been lots of speculation that Slackā€™ll be acquired before they manage to IPO :cold_sweat:

Iā€™m guessing a few Microsoft Teams users would be happy if they did :smile:

4 Likes

Slackā€™s S-1. Quick search of the document

• Over 10 million daily active users
  • About $400m in revenue up 81.61%
  • About $233m spent in marketing to year end 31/01/19
  • 88,000 paid customers. 575 ( up 92.95% ) over $100,000 per/year. They use the over $100,000 metric to gauge their ability to attract larger organisations.
  • Slack has a 5 year agreement with AWS at $50 million a year
5 Likes

88k of 10million paid - seems low?!

1 Like

I think itā€™s: 88k paid of 600k total customers, who between them have 10m users

2 Likes

Ah ok this makes sense then

Oh man! I love slack for my freelancing work - inviting people in from outside the main organisation is so useful. Fingers crossed whoever picks it up (if they do!) doesnā€™t mess with it too much

2 Likes

Definitely looking at this - would love it be available through FT

Iā€™ll be honest - I was on the fence with Slack when I heard it wanted to IPO a few months back - but looking at their numbers they seem like a really good IPO for 2019.

Still making a net loss, but with their revenues consistently doubling YOY, that could soon change.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping someone can shed light on the mechanics of IPOā€™s. How price ranges are determined and refined? What role the underwriting banks play? How allocations are decided? I realise Slack is a direct listing so there are no underwriters. I ask because the Beyond Meat IPO yesterday would indicate the company and advisers priced the company significantly below what the market was willing to pay?

1 Like

Slack Revenue Up 67% as It Prepares Stock Listing - Bloomberg

2 Likes

Hey Alexā€¦ thanks for sharing!

How close to the IPO date do you envisage FT offering slack?

Will Slack be listed on freetrade as of the IPO date? Or will there be a delay?

1 Like

Hereā€™s how the process works: When will the 2019 tech IPOs (Lyft, Uber, Pinterest, Zoom, etc) be on Freetrade?

Their YOY doubling could also change if Microsoft decide to push Teams more heavily. Any MS heavy orgs without Slack would be easy targets as well as current Slack using, MS heavy, orgs if they decide to undercut them on price and integrate with other MS productsā€¦and then you have the orgs where some new manager/CTO comes in & decides its best to change from Slack so they seem to justify their job as a decision maker

3 Likes