Snap - SNAP - Share Chat

This one is there too.

As Carl mentioned, SNAP is already available

The company is launching a new slate of 12 original, “serialized” shows for its Discover section — what it’s calling “Snap Originals.”

Think of these shows like a television series, with scripts and storylines that carry through episode by episode. Unlike TV, though, Snapchat’s new shows are filmed for Snapchat — vertically, for your phone, with episodes lasting four or five minutes.

https://www.recode.net/2018/10/10/17957984/snapchat-tv-shows-originals-launch

TechCrunch | The Verge | CNN

Snap obviously needs to do something pretty big to stop it’s share price falling further.

The memo that leaked recently about their strategy was pretty interesting, they plan to focus on:

• Making the app the fastest way to communicate
  • Focusing more on emerging markets
  • Original content
  • Making the app easier to use for older people

Will that be enough or is everyone going to be buying Facebook (Instagram) shares when Freetrade launches US stocks instead?

That’s unexpected.

I can’t see it catching on, well, I can’t see it as it’s gonna add many more users. I assume the ‘Phone Swap’ series is kinda what they’re going for.

1 Like
3 Likes

Nobody bought those glasses they did either I think. Who’d buy them?!

I know, you’d have to be crazy to get some :wink:

I like the new designs!

But seriously, Benedict Evans has written some really interesting stuff about cameras as sensors, the types of innovation they’ll enable in the future & why Snapchat is so into them. My worry for Snap is that they might be ahead of their time here..

1 Like

Snap is really struggling with their revenue model as currently every customer is costing them 60 cents, so as they expand they’re doing worse in terms of balance sheet. It’s to do with their data centres - outsourced completely to Google and Amazon AWS, so they’re bleeding cash as they grow. Meant they were quick to market but paying for it now!

In a bit of a hole, but they’re heavily used so it’ll be interesting to see how they get on. If they keep dropping surely they’ll become an M&A target for Facebook/Twitter/other???

3 Likes

Also, expanding into emerging markets sounds great, but it will cost them more and will likely get lower add revenue as target market tends to have less spending power.

1 Like

Does anyone still prefer Snapchat over Instagram stories? I know it’s still enjoys a relatively huge user base in the US but I stopped using it for so many reasons.

1. I’m lazy. I’d rather have everything on one social media platform. With IGTV I don’t bother checking a business’s Facebook page anymore.
  2. It’s easier to find your friends on Instagram. It takes effort to add people on Snapchat, why use it when everyone is already on IG?
  3. Snapchat is horrifically slow on my phone and the messages don’t save automatically, so I don’t spend much time on it chatting
  4. The stories page is so weird and difficult to navigate, they keep changing it too which confuses me. Also the snap map was a disaster when first added
  5. Personal bugbear but the Snapchat beauty filters look crap on POC faces. They’re not flattering. Snow does this so much better with better controls, variety of filters, custom effects, etc. It was already popular in Asia but becoming more widely used in the US

If they don’t tackle those issues I don’t really see how introducing a TV show will draw people back. Plus a lot of the people who are actually using it don’t really have much spending power for the things they’re hoping to market? Their ads also feel more intrusive because it feels like a more personal platform vs IG, which is filled with ads and fancy pictures anyway

3 Likes

If I was younger I would’ve had more friends on Snapchat. It’s a learning curve for an old schooler such as moi but they seem to know what they are doing:

The average number of Snaps created every day grew to more than 3.5 billion this quarter and average time spent per user was over 30 minutes per day. Our revenue growth rate accelerated both quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year to 48 percent, yielding $388 million in total revenue for the quarter.
https://investor.snap.com/~/media/Files/S/Snap-IR/reports-and-presentations/q2-19-prepared-remarks.pdf

(source: twttr @richattbd - analyst)

Full disclose: own shares in $SNAP

Looks like SNAPCHAT is on the rise again!

Really surprised by the TV show move from Snap

Though I am a shareholder, I don’t spend much time on it, as most of the people I know are using other messaging platforms. However, it must be “sticky” and no wonder Facebook copied Snapchat’s features for Instagram and Facebook apps, having failed to acquire $Snap. Can’t otherwise explain the rise of users, engagement and this stock chart:

Year-to-date:

1 Like

$SNAP wants to add $1bn of convertible debt (debt that can be converted to equity) to cover expenses:

• The company, which is the maker of Snapchat, says it wants to use the proceeds to fund capital expenditures, operating expenses, stock repurchases, acquisitions and more.

Fyi this sort of vague language means “we want to use the proceeds for whatever”. I think Tesla and others have issued similar instruments—not giving up control and probably using favourable market rates to borrow.

1 Like

That return though -

2 Likes

Up 5% today. Come on, donkey :ghost:, let’s go:

Q3 earnings likely at the end of October:

https://investor.snap.com/events-and-presentations/events