Stocks/ETF Requests

Just following your lead in terms of speed. :grin::fire:

All ā€œbugsā€ fixed!

Regarding JD / BABA / TCEHY / BIDU, Iā€™ll let our stockbroker ops manager comment on any context about adding them.

(Iā€™m personally eyeing those Tencent prices, tooā€¦)

JD, BABA and BIDU all perfectly possible to add to the universe if there is sufficient demand. From very quick initial research (so donā€™t hold me to this) are all ADRs/ADSs of a Chinese parent and therefore not ISAā€™able (big ISA Eligibility blog post coming soon so no need to rehash here!).

TCEHY is a ā€˜funnyā€™ one in that it doesnā€™t appear to be accessible to us via our chosen US execution venue - this could simply be an oversight, however it looks (again, based on a few seconds of research) like we may be able to trade it on another exchange - primary listing seems to be ā€˜700ā€™ on Hong Kong. However, this would mean it wouldnā€™t be available when we go live with US stocks. Good news - it would therefore be ISAā€™able. Swings and roundabouts.

4 Likes

JD, BABA, BIDU and CTRP are not ISAā€™able because they are Cayman-listed VIE structures. Unlike most stocks where as an equity holder you have a claim in the companyā€™s assets, you do not have the same rights in a VIE structure as you own a holding company. Jack Ma (founder of BABA) or Richard Liu (founder of BIDU) own different shares. Whilst you canā€™t own them in your ISA, a regular taxable portfolio is not an issue.

Tencent (700 or TCEHY) on the other hand is different and you own shares in the actual company. Pony Ma owns the same shares as other shareholders, including Naspers. 700 should be no issues when it comes to main exchanges, but I do know that TCEHY can be a bit funny (I remember I had to call a phone broker to trade that stock with HL).

5 Likes

:kissing::sunglasses::wink:

1 Like

Hello,
I would like to ask the Freetrade team: Do you have a mapped plan on when you will be implementing a full NASDAQ, NYSE, LSE & OTC trading? If you do not, can you give clarity on the main problems you face?
Thank you!

3 Likes

Hey Sam, weā€™re currently awaiting for the full roadmap to be released, hopefully this will contain some of the information youā€™re after :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rob_h are there any plans to add any Cannabis ETFs to the universe? E.g. ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF

1 Like

At present weā€™ve not be overwhelmed with requests for ETFs such as this. As always weā€™ll be guided by what our users want and if there is demand weā€™ll certainly look into it. However, on quick inspection our US provider does not offer us the ability to trade ETFs such as the Alternative Harvest. As you know weā€™re kicking off with UK only stocks for now so if thereā€™s a comparable on the UK market youā€™re interested in let me know.

2 Likes

As per the Paragraph 6(2) of The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, Cannabis would constitute Class-B drug, cultivation of which is illegal in the UK.

That is why there is most likely not to be any

at the moment.

I was thinking of something more like the GW Pharma ADR. Iā€™m not versed in all the alternative ways you could replicate some exposure. My point was merely - if you know of some, let me know.

2 Likes

Thanks Rob, Iā€™ll do some research and see if thereā€™s anything interesting on the UK side.

1 Like

Why arenā€™t all stocks traded automatically in the universe? Not all FTSE 250 stocks are up there.

There seem to be an absence of AIM listed companies as well for the UK?

Will you also be looking at more exchanges?

Welcome! Good to have you on board.
Lots written on this subject previously so I wonā€™t rehash it all here.
Some of your questions answered here:
https://freetrade.io/blog/freetrades-stock-universe-at-roll-out-and-the-logic-behind-it/

Regarding more exchanges : yes, itā€™s on the roadmap.

Thanks Rob for the quick reply. I quite like oil & gas but note mid tier players (Enquest, Faroe, Cairn, Premier etc) arenā€™t on them. I think AIM companies are interesting companies for growth as well so will be interesting if you guys can look into including those too.

2 Likes

Sounds like you need to head on over to @tommy 's discussion board

:wink::wink::wink:

2 Likes

What you guys are doing seems very cool! Which bank are you using to do the trading through? @rob_h

No banks. Electronically polling a wide RSP (market maker) network via a gateway and settling in Crest. Various details on this spread throughout the blog. Blog post on mechanics of trade and settlement on there soon. Head on over there and take a read. Freetrade Blog

4 Likes

@rob_h really looking forward to these blog posts.

Do you envisage a point in which offering Direct Market Access makes sense, as a value add to Alpha for example?

The blog post regarding trade and settlement got a little out of hand. If I wrote something super nerdy Iā€™d alienate a great chunk of Freetraders who (quite rightly) donā€™t care about the behind the scenes boring stuff. I approached it from a different angle. I was over caffeinated.

Regarding DMA - all options on the table. If the user base demands it, if we can make it cost efficient, if it genuinely adds something etcā€¦etcā€¦ Boring none committal answer, I know.

Make your case. Send Viktor a massive, detailed email. His inbox is empty. Heā€™d love the work.

7 Likes

Is it actually empty? I thought he is the one who gets bombarded the most.

We would prefer some boring stuff to read if the other alternative is just one article on Medium a week! Just disclose everything you have and we could at least read something on Friday afternoon :wink:.

5 Likes