Thomas Cook - TCG

Add this stock please
Low but with Chinese investors may go up

TCG was available previously but no longer.

Bit more info here: Why TCG stock was removed?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply I didn’t know this.
Cal…

New owners of Thomas Cook are a :cn: conglomerate, listed in HK as SEHK:656, have a stake in Cirque du Soleil, own Club Med, are rated “junk” (Ba2, below investment grade) by Moody’s. The History section on its Wikipedia page is :roll_eyes:. This article from June 2019 by Bloomberg though about loads of buying and debt and stuff :eyes:.

Moody’s rating agency said in March 2019 that the following constrains affected the Ba2 rating:

(1) high investment appetite, (2) modest liquidity profile and weak interest coverage at the holding company level, (3) moderate credit contagion risk from investees, and (4) complicated organizational structure.

If you have done any kind of credit analysis, you’d know the credit health of the parent is important, the significant of the subsidiary (Thomas Cook) to the parent - also important, especially if the topco has to delever/reduce debt and sell it off.

So I’d advise to always do due diligence from the bottom to the top here and in other cases.

2 Likes

Thomas Cook has collapsed.

[…] The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said the tour operator has “ceased trading with immediate effect”. […]

Saw the liquidation analysis someone posted online. It was done by AlixPartners, a standard table with cash + assets - creditor and other claims.

Shareholders would get an estimated :doughnut: because Thomas Cook carries so much debt.

Bond holders - who are unsecure creditors -are getting a few cents on the dollar.

Equity holders are always at the bottom of the food chain when things like this happen.

1 Like

They’ve been in trouble for years.

Though they started to recover after the 08 (Global) and 11 (European debt) financial crisis. The collapsed of the British pound played a role here. That’s roughly 20-30% hit in overseas costs, hotels and staff mainly.

British pound = White line

Thomas Cook = Green line

4 Likes

Just wondering why Thomas Cook was removed?

Thanks

To save you from buying a bad company as travel agents get disintermediated by the internet. Haha just joking, I don’t know! Don’t hurt me! :sob:

7 Likes

We removed it as it requires a nationality declaration, which means we have to inform CREST of the nationality of each buyer. We currently don’t have the ability to do this for basic trades, as these are all placed as a single market trade.

This impacts c.15 stocks, mostly airlines and defence, and we are working on a solution to this. Watch this space!

9 Likes

Would it be possible if these shares were only available as instant orders?

3 Likes

Or if the stock would just be visible for users with an eligible nationality.

4 Likes

We’re looking at a few options, but restricting to instant only would be one solution.

@Vlad interestingly there are no non-eligible nationalities. It’s more that these companies typically have to have over X% of their shareholders as EU or British, and so need to know the nationality of every investor

4 Likes

A blessing

I can’t seem them surviving another 2011/2012.

2 Likes

On Sunday, Thomas Cook said: "We have the support of our lending banks and major shareholders, and just this week we agreed additional funding for our coming winter cash low period.

Sounds like when a football manager gets a vote of confidence from the chairman :grimacing:

2 Likes

Basically, it’s wipe out time" for shareholders, according to Markets.com analyst Neil Wilson.

1 Like

Watching the drop live, it’s scary… Lost 95% of value in last year. Also, I like how the first news article just below is from “fool UK” from yesterday about possibly price being on way up :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Was the answer to that in the article no?

1 Like

Haha, answers! I’m desensitised to click-bait (most of the time). I just checked the article to see the author stating some sensible things for Thomas Cook, but ultimately said: “Thomas Cook is still one to avoid at all costs, in my view.”

1 Like

I generally find Fool one of the best mainstream sources around for balanced commentary. But why believe me when I’m down 75% on Thomas Cook right now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes