Tesco - TSCO - Share Chat

I edited yours so it’s the main thread :smiley: hope you don’t mind!

1 Like

nope, that’s perfect thanks.

1 Like

I was genuinely looking at Tesco last week contemplating whether I should buy a few shares in them but decided not to. Looks like that was the wrong answer :joy:

Lot’s of job cuts being reported recently.

Or 2.75 billion is Tesco accounting terms…

and

Tesco PLC (LON:TSCO) said it will pay out £5bn to shareholders in a special dividend after agreeing to sell its Thailand and Malaysia grocery chains.

The FTSE 100 supermarket giant has proposed the disposal of the Asian businesses for US$10.3bn (£7.8bn) to Thai conglomerate CP Group.

Tesco will use £2.5bn of the cash to make a pension contribution, which it expects to eliminate the current funding deficit and slash future pension deficit contributions.

I’ve looked at Tesco after having researched Morrisons.

The main takeaway is that the dividend looks safe to me. Not just because of high sales during the Covid-19 lockdown*, but because the finances are in good shape and the firm is still selling its Asian operation later in the year.

*although we’re back to normality with the weekly shop

The ex-dividend date is in a month, on 21 May

(source)

I would buy this stock. (But remember that this is not advice and the value of your investments may go up as well as down)

What about you?

• BUY
  • HOLD
  • SELL

0 voters

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone.

The “buy” team won, by a significant lead.

1 Like

While the share price is lower than the level at the end of April, the “buy” team may still probably win over time:

We have to understand this against a benchmark, eg how online shopping grew on average, but it’s of course great that Tesco benefited from the growth.

1 Like
2 Likes

interesting, personally though, I’ve pretty much stopped shopping at Tesco, it just feels so overpriced when you compare to Lidl (who I surprisingly found has really nice products if eaten in a timely manner ;))
so I think Tesco will struggle to compete on price with them etc.

2 Likes

Lidl only has 800 stores, there some way away from being everywhere. Good competition but they don’t do everything.

1 Like

Yeah that’s true, especially if u compare the big Tesco’s and variety’s of products etc, but u get like two baskets worth at Lidl of food compared to one at Tesco for same amount cash, which makes a big difference for a big family (not that I have one haha)…

For those of you waiting on new about this

It’s been declared at 50.93 per share but not updated on the corporate pages of Tesco’s website yet…

2 Likes

So you get this for each share held on 12th Feb? Even if you buy them now?

1 Like

Here’s how Freetrade explains dividend dates

Short and sweet explanation is if you buy before the ex date and hold until on or after the ex date !!!
you are entitled to payouts including special ones etc.

If the above link doesn’t help try investopedia’s explanation which is a bit more concise

Ex-Dividend Definition.

Yes there is also a share consolidation taking place simultaneously on the basis of 15 new shares for every 19 existing which aims to prevent the share price falling by 50p on the ex dividend date.

1 Like