Tesla Motors - TSLA - Share Chat

What worries me most in that chart is not all the red but the two figures for YOY return in green at the top, which indicate very frothy valuations; Tesla and Nio are still up ~ 300% and 800% on a year ago. Tesla isn’t going to go bankrupt, however Nio I am less confident about, and Nikola is going to zero IMO.

1 Like

Cathie Wood Live on Bloomberg tonight at 10pm, should be an interesting watch and likely to be lots of chat about Telsa

it’s on now Bloomberg Global Financial News LIVE - YouTube

:popcorn:

2 Likes

Have you seen the operating system in the new Volkswagen EVs. It’s pretty dire nowhere near Tesla even now. Have you seen the third party charging systems not great compared to supercharger network. Tesla are great at building efficient electric motors and software.

Legacy auto will struggle to catch up as software was never a strong point in fact it was always a weakness. Legacy auto use dealers aswell so profitability is not the same as Tesla per car sold. Tesla have so many advantages it’s scary. Maybe Rivian can give them a run for their money. Legacy auto no way.

1 Like

Feel free for anyone to use it, I just don’t think it elaborates much about valuations that’s all. For example, is Tesla’s valuation reflective of cars right now, or autonomous driving? I think we all know which. 2022 revenues? Great, but what about after that?

First few EV EVs seem more or less correct but traditionals are way out. eg Toyota is given as $214b when its actually $350b. No idea why they’re including receivables in their calculation, other than to perhaps deliver their point of view better.

While old-school automakers with viable electric vehicles like Ford and General Motors were struggling to command a valuation at a single digit multiple of earnings.

Funny, I actually agree OEMs are underappreciated, but maybe the authors should stop to have a poke and ask: why?

And then they’ve never even mentioned to possible newbies that all risks assets sans energy, travel and financials have been “collapsing”…I’m too harsh, after all how can you concentrate with such high doses of smugness.

Elon Musk’s official title at Tesla has changed to Technoking of Tesla (he’s still maintaining the position of CEO)

2 Likes

Love him or hate him he knows how to keep Tesla in the news :joy:

4 Likes

Technoking, Memelord. Potato, umm potato.

This is getting ridiculous I think

4 Likes

How does the saying go? “All publicity is good publicity” No-one talks about other car brands whilst EM comes out with random things :joy:

1 Like

You buy Tesla stock @ $180 and pay an extra $500 on top because the CEO plays new publicity games.

3 Likes

Funny article about tesla and now some are suing Elon Musk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56404583

There can only be 2 types of investors in Tesla. 1st the originals who must have made a killing and 2nd the newer investor who should know what Elon is like. Either way now suing him is pretty pathetic and greedy. Bet they didn’t consider suing when his erratic behaviour pumped up the price :joy:
An awful lot of the Tesla price is purely down to Elon and his constant attention good or bad. As an investor you don’t have to like him but Tesla without him could plummet longer than a blip.
With his space ambitions etc his brand will be unique in auto and considered cool to many for a very long time.

3 Likes

7 Likes

This is par for the course. If you ever fancy looking up their 10k form and checking ‘legal proceedings’ they are always being sued by someone. I think there was a period back in 2015-18 where they were sailing a bit close to the wind at times but they are now so huge that this type of thing isnt a big deal for me. I doubt Elon loses a moment of sleep about it.

2 Likes

I bought more at $563, so if the shares go over $700, I break even including my $800 shares :slight_smile:

1 Like

My avg. is £161 and I still get nervous :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hey @LSB2 can you buy some more when it hits $800 again so we can buy more when it drops again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might be a while, but I’ll give it a go lol

1 Like

Worth a read.

Still waiting for a more reasonable valuation!

It’s currently worth about 6x VW and still up 800% over a year! Seems a bit rich to me as there is a long road before they are reliably profitable and difficult conditions to navigate this year. Still, they will IMO do well in the long term.

1 Like

I see it a bit differently with nothing but good catalysts on the horizon (model y in China, two more factories coming on line, semi and cybertruck launching, progress with full self driving, energy division growing rapidly). I’m open to opposing interpretations though. What are the difficult conditions you think they need to navigate?