Trading 212

surely if it has:

It’s not:

edit: they’ve dropped the 10 trades limit, I should have read the article :smiley:

5 Likes

One advantage 212 has over Freetrade at the moment, is in the app store when you search for Robinhood, 212 is the 1st thing that crops up.

Guessing its solely down to the # of reviews. Freetrades 85 vs 212’s 7.43k.

Need to get users reviewing in the store

4 Likes

The even bigger advantage that Trading 212 has over Freetrade at the moment is that it exists!
All I ever get as an Android user with Freetrade are promises. I’m already wound up by being treated as a second class citizen as an Android user rather than iPhone and patience is wearing thin. If you only want iPhone users then fine, just say it. Stop PROMISING the android app and just do it! Put up or shut up. It DOES NOT get people more interested with anticipation. Monzo tried it with joint accounts and got beaten to it by Starling. I got a Starling account and never regretted it. Monzo are always secondary in my mind now. If you can’t get the product out, don’t keep promising it

3 Likes

They’ve said it’ll be out by April at the latest, not sure where you’ve seen promises of anything different.

8 Likes

Thank you. As a second class citizen Android user I think you’ve convinced me to give Trading 212 a go. I take on board a certain user unfriendliness in the UI. However, they have more stocks and also include investment trusts.
Freetrade have actually been giving me the impression that the Android app will be out imminently ie I was expecting January. Nowhere have I seen April. With the market as it is now it is a buying opportunity. Time in the market etc April is way too far away. Opportunities missed. Bad organisation by Freetrade to have the android app out well after the iPhone one.
It seems to be playing catch up. Will try 212 and will consider playing catch up with Freetrade later. Probably much later bearing in mind the limited stocks and no investment trusts by comparison.

I’m sorry that you’re frustrated about the wait for the Android app. Unfortunately as a startup with limited resources, we had to choose to develop the app for one platform to begin with & that’s why the app hasn’t launched yet. If we could have bought out both apps at the same time then we absolutely would have.

Our lead Android engineer has explained more here -

We’ll certainly be adding more stocks as we go & perhaps more investment trusts, to keep the Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust company, too. Please do request anything else that you’d like us to add in Stock Requests :chart_with_upwards_trend:.

We’re looking forward to launching the Android app early next year!

7 Likes

Honestly 212 seems a bit scetchy to me. I might be wrong of course , but I wouldnt trust them with my money. Freetrade have probably the best customer service , which is a very good selling point, especially for a platform which offers free trades.
Also that deposit fee with 212 is going to make add a big weight to your portfolio long-term.

2 Likes

Coming to Freetrade after the other brokers is a huge “aha moment” - so this is how it should work :wink:

Of course go ahead and try them all and don’t believe a random guy on the interwebs. However if you do want to listen to me then I recommend Halifax Share Dealing Service first as it only gets better from there.

4 Likes

I suppose most of the stocks will be Barclays’ price range with a few exceptions, but the hype will pay that off. Who knows, maybe Freetrade could test this strategy one day :wink:

1 Like

Barclays’ value is currently £1.50 per share and I just assumed Trading 212 would not be too generous giving £10 to £20 to everyone who signs up. Maybe those who get cheap ones don’t brag? :smiley:

Don’t know if anyone has noticed this, but as a user of 212 for about a year now they seem to have introduced a Minimum order quantity of £50+ since last week. For me this is pretty big because I don’t want to be investing in dozens or even hundreds of penny stocks, even shares just below £50 it now forces you to buy two which is just ridiculous in my opinion. It also means that my positions with, say, two shares cannot be sold off individually anymore which
plain sucks. Currently stuck in an ever-growing customer support queue trying to see if I can find out why they made the decision (reminds me of the last time I contacted support asking what would happen if a stock I owned was bought out, to which the rep replied simply “that’s a good question”).

Despite what it sounds like, actually been generally pleased with T212’s service; they’ve improved the UI a lot over the last few months and free instant execution is kind of addictive ngl. Still, I think they may have just made a rather large mistake, haven’t even announced this anywhere afaik

4 Likes

So they have, it’s in their trading conditions

2 Likes

Yeah Idrk, this together with that recent inactivity fee is really making me think they’re just starting to exploit their huge userbase instead of using that scale to improve services etc.

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve just done the same. However the £1 deposit has still not cleared. How long did it take for yourself?

1 Like

I’m right on it :yum:

1 Like

It is a very good trading platform, no doubt. Automatic SL/TP, Pending orders, price alerts. Its helped make me a fair bit but I am still predominantly investing not trading so this has definitely leaned me over to Freetrade now.

As for the promotion, I assume you can still sell your share even if it is under the min. I looked at the T&Cs and saw this:

All market sell orders for Referral Shares will be accepted and executed as an aggregated market order at the close of the relevant market by default. We are taking this approach in order to avoid multiple market sell orders for 1 share each as this can be considered as market abuse by the stock exchanges. Limit orders will not be aggregated and will be executed at the price specified by You.

3 Likes

That was pretty quick
It is showing just 1 GE share given as promotion :slightly_frowning_face: worth $10 so I have to deposit more to get my money back.

1 Like

Well I want to cashin free share as well, and I have to buy some before I can sell because its value is less than ÂŁ50.

But more deposit is not really required.

The £50 is showing as minimum buy, haven’t seen it mentioned as a minimum selling limit

1 Like

Unfortunately that doesnt seem to be the case.

Here is what shows up if I try to sell a single share under the limit:

I only own two shares here so the MQL is slightly pointless imo (I can clearly close my existing position. All round terrible implementation, especially for existing users like me who literally only found out as I was planning an order.

2 Likes