Trading and Investing Books

(Aris David) #1

My favourite books that helped me build my portfolio over time. What’s yours?

Trading
Stan Weinstein’s Secrets for Profit in Bull and Bear Markets

Investing
The Little Book That Still Beats the Market (Little Books. Big Profits

(Jim) #2

Always a popular choice on the UK finance related subreddits:

Smarter Investing

(Kenny Grant) #3

The Intelligent Investor

(Harry) #4

Learn from the best: Warren Buffett Way

And these are good for investment and market understanding: Other People’s Money, The Ascent of Money , The Long and the Short of It

Invest Like the Best podcast is good also :slight_smile:

Not interesting in trading books, but keen to learn and read more on strategies and hedge funds if anyone has any recommendations?

(Danny Jeremiah) #5

The two that got me started in this whole thing:

The Richest Man In Babylon

A Random Walk Down Wall Street

Both great for getting you into the investing mindset, and the idea of ‘dollar’ cost-averaging.

(Emma) #6

Typing shares or investment into Amazon gives you dozens of books to choose from but I wanted a complete beginners book with only U.K. terms, so I spent yesterday reading this

I thought it was brilliant and if you’re completely new to all this then I highly recommend it. It didn’t mention ETFs but I got the 2nd edition and there is a 3rd edition released this year which might be more up to date.
Covers types of shares, how they’re traded, types of index, dividends, how to read a financial report, analysts, mergers etc. I’m going to use my new knowledge to say ‘dead cat bounce’ and ‘catching knives’ sagely when the need arises :yum:

I completely forgot I had this book until now.

(Tommy Lowe) #8

If you’re interested in stories from the industry, as well as guides and tips on navigating the market, I’d check out:

• Black Edge - I loved this one, the story behind Steve Cohen & SAC Capital (or Bobby Axelrod, if you watch Billions)
  • The Spider Network - Fascinating read into Tom Hayes and the LIBOR scandal
  • Crashed - Super account of the financial crisis
  • Michael Lewis has been mentioned already, but Liar’s Poker, The Big Short, Flash Boys should be on your list, to name a few

Then some others on corporate downfalls, not really as relevant to investing but still fascinating…

If you’d like any more recommendations, just shout :slight_smile:

On the story side also:

The Great Silver Bubble is very interesting; story of a pair of incredibly wealthy brothers (think original Kochs) trying to corner the world silver market. Basically own enough of the world’s silver to control the market (you’re not allowed to do this).

A few that started off as essays/articles:

The second one is genre bending and I wasn’t sure whether to even include it but here we are :sweat_smile: