Trump V China

Better start to the day folks portfolio up 1% since 8am :grinning::+1:t3:

1 Like

I am up 1.18%. Hope it at least maintains that for today!

The back and forward never ends.

3 Likes

At least it’s not just us heading towards no deal

3 Likes

It really feels like the whole world has decided to “just see what happens, just this once” all at the same time.

For once it’s less stressful looking at my investments, I get all my stress from reading the news now.

I just hope I make it through these years!

My Portfolio has crept up today, let’s hope it continues to grow.

Gregg’s shares have started going up & I believe will continue to do so.

1 Like

It’s ok, Trump is doing his best to reduce tensions

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1128277703570984960

3 Likes

Yeah come on Trump, put a cork in it!

1 Like
7 Likes

I guess that picture is worth way more than a 1000 words :rofl:

How is everyones portfolio looking today?

I finished about 1.60% up yesterday, currently -0.10%

Yeah I finished 1.10% up yesterday and 0.22% up today!

1 Like

market will probably go up again.

So, wishes and prayers it is then.

Let’s hope Trump shuts his gob & the markets can get back to increasing instead of plummeting.

1 Like

I had no idea but my portfolio is actually extremely pro-China. I assume that’s what it means when it’s all completely red…

On the bright side I’m getting a lot of sympathy pints and buying fewer rounds.

2 Likes

Not just wishes and prayers, that is based on the markets behaviour for as long as there has been a market.

A downturn can last for quite a while, and the market could lose 50% or more of it’s value, but in the past it has always recovered to a higher level that it was before. If you aren’t prepared to put some trust in probability you should probably just stick your money in a savings account

1 Like

Just waiting for Android ISA to be available and I’ll be piling in to pick up some bargains!

1 Like

This. If you are anxiously checking your portfolio every day and worrying about the variations then you are perhaps not best suited to investing in the market. It’s a long game!

2 Likes

I think it’s normal to do this at first, and frankly the freetrade app (or any other I’ve seen) doesn’t discourage it, but as you say it is a deadly mistake, particularly if you feel compelled to act on fluctuations. After you’ve seen markets gyrate for a while you realise that they are irrational, inefficient, and volatile in the short term they’re just more efficient than all the other things available to invest in for the long term. The trick IMO is to learn to entirely ignore your emotions, take a very long view, and never sell at a loss.

I would love to see some work on projections, targets, and anything which distracts from what % your value has fluctuated today in freetrade. They could really differentiate themselves by encouraging customers to take the long view, ride out fluctuations, and get better results because of doing so.

This is partly why I think a separate product for beginners would be useful - one that basically masks all the volatility, doesn’t encourage trying to pick stocks, and has a very simple proposition - put your money in one end and after a few years of saving profit comes out the other end, and never stops, especially when compounded.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I have been investing for months now and still check my portfolio nearly every day, but I do it with no expectation and try to merely remain inquisitive.

I agree, but that product already exists in the form of robo advisers and other pre-packaged S&S ISAs. It would be dangerous to hide the risk and volatility of actual trading of stocks in my opinion. People need to be made as aware of the risks as possible so that they are not surprised or distressed to see a negative percentage.

This is simply impossible to guarantee with investing in markets. Anyone who desires that product should select a cash ISA with a fixed saving rate.

1 Like