Twitter - TWTR - Share Chat

Twitter would be a good one to have as a stock

Already on the live US stock list and available once you get access.

1 Like

Ok I did Not look at that thanks for telling me٩( ᐛ )و

1 Like

Twitter’s now available in the app so I’ve closed this topic to return your votes & let you use them to vote for other stocks.

Disclosure: not a shareholder unfortunately

Twitter popped

YTD:

Verge

Twitter added 5 million daily users last quarter, bringing the company to 139 million in total. That’s the highest the number has been since Twitter started reporting daily usage statistics earlier this year, and it represents the highest annual growth in almost two years.

While it’s a great sign for Twitter — suggesting that recent changes to the platform have been successful at retaining and attracting users — that’s also very much the narrative Twitter wants us to take away. As of this quarter, Twitter is no longer disclosing how many monthly users it has, and that number spent a full year in decline, only growing again in the first few months of this year.

Twitter said that daily usage numbers are “the best ways to measure our success.” But it’s also being frustratingly obtuse in its presentation, saying that its own daily usage numbers “are not comparable” to other companies’ daily usage numbers, because other companies count differently. Twitter says the difference is that it only counts daily users who see ads, whereas other companies count users who don’t.

Motley Fool:

Twitter’s second-quarter revenue rose 18% year over year to $841 million, coming in ahead of analysts’ average forecast of $830 million. It also was above the high end of management’s guidance for revenue during the quarter to be between $770 million and $830 million.

Daily active users increased 14% year over year – an acceleration compared to 11% growth in the first quarter of 2019.

CNBC:

Twitter said it reached an average of 139 million monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) in the second quarter, a 14% increase year over year. Average domestic mDAUs came to 29 million in the quarter, a 10% increase compared with a year earlier. Internationally, average mDAUs were 110 million in the quarter, up 15% from the previous year.

On a call with analysts, CFO Ned Segal said Twitter has been “remarkably consistent” with bringing in users at the top of the funnel who visit the site for a specific purpose. It’s focused on converting those people into mDAUs by helping them “find what they’re looking for faster,” he said.

Twitter provided guidance for the third quarter, saying it expects revenue to range from $815 million to $875 million. It expects operating income to range between $45 million and $80 million. For the full fiscal year, Twitter reiterated that it expects operating expenses to go up about 20% on a year-over-year basis as it invests in top priorities like health and conversation.

5 Likes

Interesting that they’ve come up with a new metric ‘monetizable daily active users’ (mDAUs)

1 Like

The pressure to hit growth targets as a public company can lead to :poop: like this:

Twitter said it had “inadvertently” used personal information such as phone numbers and email addresses — provided by users to make their accounts more secure — to target advertising.

Twitter said on Tuesday that it “cannot say with certainty how many people were impacted” by its news, but added that “no personal data were ever shared externally with our partners or any other third parties”. The practice affected users globally, it said.

The social media group said it had addressed the problem as of September 17, although it is unclear why the company did not notify users sooner.

Source - Twitter misused users’ personal info for advertising

If you haven’t read how Twitter was founded, get this book—it’s full of drama:

Orange :tangerine: is a fruit

User engagement is an important metric for social media companies. It’s probably correlated with daily active and “monetisable” users. Some social media users probably drive a lot of traffic.

You don’t have to log in to see stuff like this :exploding_head::

Facebook were caught using 2FA information for ad targeting last year. I don’t think there were any repercussions. I’m long FB.

Twitter might be worth a punt for the 2020 election.

Down ~18% pre market.

Well, fuck me I was wrong. Very rare to see any company reject money for any reason. This is bold!

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1189634377057067008

2 Likes

Hopefully their team looking for bots will be stronger. It’s not only ads how an election can be influenced through social media.

1 Like

Thinking about making a Twitter a 1-2% part of my portfolio. Would be great to get some feedback on my thinking.

Reasons to invest

• PE ratio: 14.4 vs. 18.3 for the US market
  • Current price is towards the lower end of its 52 week range - a buying opportunity?
  • While it competes for advertising revenue with other platforms, it is unique in what it does for people. It is embedded in Western culture.
  • Their new key metric (Monetizable Daily Active Usage - mDAU) is an excellent KPI that should incentivise the right behaviours.
  • Previous quarter results showed mDAU growing at the fastest rate since end of 2017.
  • Revenue growing and income predicted to recover from last quarter’s decline.

Reason to avoid

• Profit and cash flow fell last quarter, causing the share price to plummet:
    Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 18.41.46 Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 18.40.27 Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 18.40.33
  • All of the insider deals have been to sell according to Simply Wall St.
  • Stock price has been volatile over the last year.
  • Lots of worry about the impact Twitter has on the world, and the ease that people can be bullied and abused on the service.
  • CEO is unpredictable at best.

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn’t. I like the platform and I think with Trump possibly getting another 4 years you’ve got some free advertising there. It banned political ads which is a stupid move in my opinion. Why would they turn down advertising revenue? How else do they make money? I’m collecting dividend stocks and ETFs for income as it’s not taxed in Portugal for a few years and Twitter does not fit the bill.

Also is it here to stay? I try not to buy fads. I know it’s been around for a while but its not gonna be around for a long time like a Coca-Cola or Unilever and it’s products

Edit: There hasn’t been an insider buy since April 2017 according to Gurufocus

1 Like

The CEO is taking 3-6 months to live ‘somewhere in Africa’ next year. I don’t know of many companies that would benefit from a lack of leadership

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, this is why this community is great :grinning:

4 Likes
3 Likes

I’m happy I bought some when it bottom a few months back. Hopefully it keeps rising.

1 Like