UK to require all new homes to include EV chargers!

Even if you’re not a Twitter user, I heartily recommend taking a look at the Twitter account - https://twitter.com/PlanningShit

It highlights the truly awful junk which the government’s unfit housing regs/planning laws allow to be built in this green and increasingly unpleasant land. I feel sorry for the local councils who have no choice but to approve all these new builds, they don’t deserve the flak that they get.

NEW BUILDS, BUY NOW! The slums of tomorrow, today!

2 Likes

I work in this industry. Everything everyone thinks of as bad new homes is basically Persimmon, they’re great for shareholders but not so much for homeowners.

2 Likes

If they decline a panning application because they plans are shite but the don’t demonstrate where they can hit their housing target central government force through the poor plans. They could have refused it wanting a better design and not because they were against the development

This isn’t an answer without legislation. What you’ll ended up creating is a second class citizen. Those who can afford a driveway and cheap electric, and those who can’t and have to pay high prices for shop chargers.

I’m at the shops for maybe 20 minute. And with a £1 connection charge on top of the higher prices that’s going to be extortion.

If they’re going to force everyone on EVs then they need to ensure equal access to charging without creating a subclass who have to pay more

1 Like

Why? They do it now. It will just get more popular and don’t see how it will be a 2 class system anymore than the price of petrol differs on where you are today. The shops will probably be quite cheap as they want you in the building buying things.

1 Like

17p kWh at home

Public chargers are upwards of 25p kWh
And some places have connection charges , time limits and charges for staying to long

We’re not just talking a few pence difference. The costs add up. It’s all great if you can charge at home as it doesn’t matter for you, but for everyone else it’s an issue.

Not to mention the chargers have to actually work and not be in use.

The reason regulation will be needed as without it everyone who can’t charge at home will be penalised by higher costs for essentially being to poor to own a better house.

Sorry but your not thinking it through. Firstly, you are ignoring the upfront costs and maintenance of having your own charging point. This means it will take a long time before you break even. :+1: Secondly, the supermarkets are not into it fully yet so you don’t know what the prices will be when it rolls out properly. I can tell you now they will come down! Each supermarket will battle to get you into their store and what better way than needing to park? It is called “loss leading” and this is going to be very competitive due to this.

Lastly, you theory about penalising and regulations etc is odd, my friend has a fuel tank supply at home and has for years. Why isn’t that regulated? Why when it goes to EVs do you feel it must be regulated if you have to go and get fuel/power when that has always been the case if you so chose?

2 Likes

So drive further for the ‘free’ charging port that might or might not work and may or may not be free?

Bit silly that one isn’t it? How many people have fuel tanks at home? Not many.

This isn’t a drop in replacement for fossil fuels, it’s an entirely different system and one we really haven’t sorted out. It’s prime for abuse.

Fuel stations have regulations btw

JustPark seem to be working with Octopus Energy and I’ve shares in Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust on Freetrade and whom shares have risen somewhat over the last day, though still not surpassed their highest of £115.29p they are currently at £109.10p and rising.

There are one or two of the big six energy suppliers offering 4/5/6p kwh for overnight car charging. This will hopefully become more of a mainstream cost for home charging, otherwise, it will be far too expensive

1 Like

Id love to get involved with octopus :octopus: they are doing exceptionally well at the moment, outside of their energy sector. Shame that it is behind FT plus

I never said free charging so don’t make stuff up :joy: Your obviously passionate about it but your fears are irrational of all places costing a fortune and not working. :+1:

Talk of 2 class systems etc is just hyperbole and what regulations do you believe need to be made? Nice to throw out the allegation but I am interested to see if you can back it up.

No not many but lots in the country have diesel tanks so my point was that we have a system in place now where you can have a home supply without these regulations you allege need to come in first, even though the shops already do it. Are they doing it illegally?

1 Like

There’s also Greencoat Wind on Freetrade which have stakes in most of the windfarms around the UK with more under construction and many more in planning permission, they also have a nice dividend that goes up with inflation, which I just received last week along with Octopus Renewables dividend pay-outs.

Clearly windfarms are going to play a big part in the near future with more and more electrical devices in our homes and people buying EV’s,… I bought my Greencoat shares at £126.40p, today there around £140.84 according to google finance, though cnbc.com records them at £141.00.

We could do with more EV and Cyber Security and Crypto on Freetrade, I’m feeling positive more will arrive, sooner than later, I Hope!!!

3 Likes

Overnight car charging… where? Not at the shops as you’re not allowed to park there over night or more than 4 hours in many cases.

At home

There’s no driveway at my home

Bummer, wouldn’t work for you then!

2 Likes

There’s no petrol pump at your home either. Deal with it. Adapt. It’s what make our species so resilient.

Charging speeds are getting faster, battery capacities are getting larger. No one needs to be plugged into a power socket for every second the car is still.

The charging network and EVs are ‘chicken and egging’. As adoption of EVs increase, the network will grow. It’s an exciting time. We’re in the early days of the revolution/transition. You managed without a petrol pump at home and those of us without driveways will manage without ‘an electricity pump’ at home too.

7 Likes

Missing my point there? It leaves me with only one option which is driving to the stops and paying more expensive prices for electric, hoping that the chargers work and are available because there’s often no way of knowing before hand.

We shouldn’t ignore the fact that if you’ve got a drive way your at a huge advantage. Houses and roads aren’t built for EVs and people seem to really have a blind spot to the fact that huge swaths of the UK have no real ability to have local charging never mind on street charging.

I wouldn’t care if it wasn’t for the fact that the government are forcing everyone onto EVs but leaving everything else as the Wild West.

No, you just don’t have a valid point. I can see you’re worried and people have tried to ease your fears and help you with the transition but this is no time to be King Canute. You can still buy a brand new combustion engined car up until they stop selling them in 2030, you have plenty of time. No one is forcing everyone to have an EV this year, this decade or even next decade. It’s a transition.

The current state of rapid charging infrastructure is not the final state of the infrastructure, just as there weren’t thousands of petrol stations when the first combustion cars hit the roads.

4 Likes