Megathread - Crowdfunding

Chunky Update

Breaking news: So my hunch was right! Cowboy, the belgian e-bike startup backed by Index ventures is going to be crowdfunding on Crowdcube. Index are one of the best venture firms in the world, known for backing Facebook, JustEat and Skype, amongst other knockout venture bets. Pre-register here.

Head to the bottom of this post for an, in my opinion, equally exciting rumour…

Private campaigns

:female_detective: :lock:

Capital rise - the property investment fintech, is crowdfunding through a pre-emption campaign here.

Feral horses - the platform that enables investment into artwork, such as banksy’s, is crowdfunding through a pre-emption campaign here

Hop Vietnamese - a startup oriental restsaurant chain, is crowdfunding here

Coming soon

:clock1: :star_struck:

Allplants - A vegan meal delivery startup backed by Octopus ventures. Indications suggest they’ll be crowdfunding with crowdcube, after all.

Handbag Clinic - A startup mending handbags in the pursuit of sustainable fashion, will be crowdfunding soon.

Farmdrop - Challenger Supermarket backed by Atomico. pre-register here

The british journal of photography - A photography business and collective founded in 1854, now monetising their members through competitions. Get the scoop here.

The Small Robot Company - A startup creating robots that farm. Will do a £1m round on Crowdcube, having raised this amount one year ago. Previously mentioned here, they have now released their pitch deck here.

Also coming soon: Drinkly, an alcohol deliver startup backed by Brewdog’s founder (pre-register here), Cashmere a p2p clothing rental app (pre-register here) and Hubris One a crypto startup (pre-register here)

Rumours

:speaking_head: :mag_right: :eyes: :ear: :newspaper_roll:

Zego - An insurance fintech backed by Balderton Capital; may well be crowdfunding. Key indicators being that Balderton are mutual shareholders in Crowdcube and Zego, and Crowdcube are running a networking event with Zego in December…

Stepladder - A fintech enabling home buyers to save for a deposit through a novel investment product. See why Seedcamp backed them here.

Real Handful - a vegetarian snack startup, may be crowdfunding soon. Check out their website.

News

• Crowdcube have launched an ‘export portfolio as a spreadsheet’ feature, check it out at the top of your portfolio:

• Seedrs are building an app, and are currently running user testing sessions

• Seedrs have launched their ‘pre-emption club’, a monthly publication of all their live pre-emption campaigns

Replies

From an investor PoV i’m not too bothered by the drag along clause, there will always be investors screwing over other investors - I just view it as a counterparty risk almost. Do you know what bothers me the most about Bnext though?

it’s that they present themselves as customer centric and pull this sh*t. Just be honest? Everyone wants to be like Monzo except when it actually matters, it seems.

At a glance, overvalued if you’re asking me. If i remember rightly, they’ve achieved ~400k EUR in revenue, and have 350k users to get to a 42m valuation. Plum had 600k users and similar revenue I believe, but their valuation was £15m, a VC validated valuation might I add. Doesn’t mean oval won’t be a bagger, but there’s a material risk of overpaying here imo.

will try to reply to everyone, taking a break for now!

36 Likes