MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

Hey Polar, welcome to the community :slight_smile:

We’ve shared some information about our plans in this topic so I’ve moved your post here, I hope that’s ok!

To answer your questions, our last update on the timescale for the expansion, in June this year, was -

Our immediate priority is onboarding our customers in the UK, but it’s important that we’re prepped now, so that we can enter new markets late this year or next.

The good news is, Viktor mentioned that Croatia is one of the countries that we could expand into :tada: so thanks for adding your vote for Freetrade to expand there.

There’s lots more details in the blog post so please do check that out & feel free to ask if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was my bad for not looking through whole forum.

Looks good! I wish you best of luck for UK rollout

2 Likes

No worries, I’m glad I could help. And thanks! :smile:

The Republic of Ireland is an interesting one. People were hit badly by the financial crash but it’s starting to recover now and people are saving where they can in case it happens again (once bitten and all that). The lower savings rates will make investment more attractive.
Dublin is a strong fintech city these days and Freetrade would fit right in, but outside the cities it would be a harder sell. Culturally it’s more similar to Northern Ireland than mainland U.K. so a bit more conservative, traditional and not early adopters of new ways of doing things or businesses.

https://www.businessworld.ie/financial-news/Irish-people-are-saving-more-and-investing-less-571220.html

4 Likes

Hi freetrade team I would like to let you know that LSE exchange market of london has Borsa Italiana exchange market of Milan as part of the company, probably this could help you.
Anyway Italy is not the best market for new companies.
Any new update on Eu expansion??

2 Likes

This the answer you need? Or was it about expansion?

3 Likes

Hi Nico! I’m afraid there’s no updates yet, we’re focused on the rollout of the app right now but hopefully once that’s finished, we’ll have some more news for you. Watch this space :eyes:

I’ve moved this discussion here, to make it easier to find.

4 Likes

Malta :slight_smile: Pleaseeeee

Hi there,

I’m long waiting for Freetrade launch :slight_smile: I was wondering when you are planning to launch for non-UK citizens as well? Just roughly :slight_smile:

Hey! I’ve just moved your post here as the details of our plans are in this thread (the latest are at the bottom), just let us know if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

Hey Dominik, just a little clarification, Freetrade is available for non-UK citizens (I am one of them) but you must be a UK resident (i.e. live in UK for more than 183 days in a year).

3 Likes

Nice. I guess I should clarify my question - for non-UK residents. I saw a proposal of countries above, pop me in for Czech Republic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would love to see Freetrade available in France. I’m not a millennial, nor do I live in a région that has millennials, all young people are preparing for retirement and death from when they leave school in the depths of the countryside. But I believe this is different in the big cities. Macron’s focus on Le FrenchTech, his support of crypto and AI means that france is waking up to new ways of accessing services through technology. It’s such a virgin market. Translating an app can’t be too horrific and marketing it in a subtly English way would make it really cool. English is seen as super cool here- used in the right way. The English name would go down brilliantly and I can already hear it mentally being horribly mispronounced but appropriated by young French people.

11 Likes

Any plans on Spain? You will have so many people interested on the app for sure.

1 Like

Please make Freetrade available in Finland as soon as possible. I’m at the front of the queue and can’t wait to start investing through Freetrade! I would certainly spread the word to my friends and family.

5 Likes

We want it in Romania please :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m looking forward for the launch outside UK - especially Czech Republic where I currently live… eager to test and use the android app of the company in which I invested.Fascinating!

2 Likes

If you’re planning a launch in Germany don’t forget about Austria :slight_smile: Similar jurisdiction, same language and lack of an easy access to investment services.

Don’t worry too much about language barriers because an English speaking app isn’t a barrier anymore.

6 Likes

I think its not going to be a problem to launch the app in english across the EU. Most of the populations across Europe speaks it and even bigger % of the people who are investing know english.

2 Likes

Bring it to Romania. I know a lot of people invested in crypto assets simply because there are effectively no barriers to entry. You can do a cash trade on a decentralized exchange like Bisq with no KYC/AML requirements. Investing in stocks in Romania is a nightmare of fees and bureaucracy. It would be great if we had easier access to stocks.

5 Likes