Vodafone - VOD [Marked for duplication and Deletion]

5G isnā€™t exclusive to some networks as far as I have seen, 4G was ( unless I am misremembering this ). The bigger concerns are, itā€™s limited to some cities, itā€™ll be more expensive but how many multiples over 4G will consumers pay, and the biggest is the lack of device support on launch.

Excellent point. Iā€™ve quickly stuck the dates of 3G and 4G launch onto Vodafoneā€™s ticker:

Looks like 4G created a small jump in share price, and 3G seemed to have almost no impact. I suppose the embrace of these new technologies is expected of telecoms companies, not a reason for their profit to vastly increase.

7 Likes

Thank you for doing that, very interesting to see it like that.

Maybe 3Gā€™s impact was in 1998 - the dotcom excitement and the expectation of new worlds and new rules, all of that. I havenā€™t gone back and checked what it was like for other TMT stocks but I guess the 2000 crash meant a few years of being out of favour.

They said that about 4Gā€¦ I cannot see 5G alone boosting Voda.

A nice read up on 5G disruption predictions from Deloitte.

Sounds like this could open up a lot of new doors, if itā€™s a big as they claim then maybe this will have an impact, but that feels more of a gamble to me.

Seems other firms will befit from greater access to faster internet over the next 2-4 years rather than just the providers who lay down the infrastructure.

I remember reading (might have even been deloitte again on this) that the network operators are struggling with 4G right now, they will be forced into 5G because they canā€™t meet the needs of their users (higher mobile data consumption more frequently, video streaming becoming more common.)

Worth keeping an eye on but I donā€™t know enough about the finer details of $VOD to dip my toe in just yet.

I agree with @ytsruh if 5G benefits, it benefits every carrier.

Iā€™m sure someone will come up with 5G etf if not already.

It might better to buy network infrastructure and mobile chipset providers.
Also I read that 5G requires lot of fibre network, so may be BT?

Iā€™m inclined to agree. I think this thread has put me off Vodafone :blush:

Using vodafone put me off Vodafone

7 Likes

I only ever used Voda once and quickly changed. I never looked back.

EE will launch 5G end of May. Vodafone is launching in July.

2 Likes

Isnt EE property of ā€˜Slow Internetā€™ BT? is the 5G stock play BT vs Vodafone?

Yes itā€™s part of the BT Group. They are also putting up their broadband and mobile prices for the 5G rollout.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Vodafone Group plc VOD

See Vodafone Group - VOD for share discussion