What is going on today? - Megathread

unless mortgage rates hit 15% then I know I can get a better return on my money in the market rather than paying down my mortgage :star_struck:

1 Like

Bull Market :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Seeing the words ‘bull market’ is a little strange. The sky was falling a few weeks ago!

Uncertain times still to come, I fear.

1 Like

With the current situation in Euprope with energy prices (yet yo take effect in winter) and the Chinese housing bubble looking to bust I’ve concentrated my ETFs in the American markets. I still think the saftest choice is to convert to cash and rebuy in March. Only time will tell…

1 Like

Imo, the global recession is gonna catch all markets. Blackrock and vanguard is doing a great job in centralising all the risk. ETFs won’t escape the repricing

We should avoid getting involved in conspiracy theories. When the markets go down by definition main market index funds go down and again by definition so will ETFs that track main market indices.

Very sadly recessions cause pain but economic downturns are inevitable and a brief consideration of economics makes one realise they may even be necessary. No, I am not saying they are fun.

The reality that is that when a recession is on the cards risk aversion sets in and and people become less inclined to invest in stocks and so there is further tumbling in the markets. OK. So we might think, “Hey hang on!” My stocks are up. Things are good. And in any case bad stuff is already priced in.

Well, very true, it might be you have the “right stocks”. But it might be also because of the people that are buying stock are doing so because they think “sale sale sale” means “buy buy buy”. If it is the latter beware - not much good will come out of it. Now is the time to do your homework, if you haven’t already, and decide what is worth it and what isn’t.

And now, is also the time to make sure your contingency plans and your finances are in order.

6 Likes

100% and I couldn’t agree more. No matter how long a reaction last it’s a good reason to take a long hard look at your tolerance to risk.
Have you got 3/6 month worth of bills in savings?
Do you need to revisit insurance policies you might hold, is the cover still suitable?
Has ‘lifestyle creep’ left you with former luxuries that you no longer value as highly, streaming services, extra mobile data …

The other thing to remember is that a recession and the price of stocks are not correlated as tightly as one might imagine.

4 Likes

In my former working life, I used to advise people in financial difficulty. The number of people who had no clue how much they were spending on what each month was quite eye opening at first. It’s amazing what carrying out a simple budgetting exercise can achieve, and it was almost always the case that people could make often significant savings that would help with their finances.

In effect, review everything you spend; do you need it? Can you get it cheaper? Can you spend less on it? Do you set a budget? Is that coffee every morning necessary? 2 pints instead of 3? etc.

Yes, it can be about making ‘sacrifices’, but the same concept can be applied to wanting to achieve something. Someone in my family who I helped with their budgetting, managed to put 3 children through private school when at first glance there was no chance their income would allow it.

If it’s any help, these are the steps I use.

List all necessary outgoings, question everything (i.e. do Sky have offers? etc), and set a budget for food, cash, entertainment and clothes. Then stick to your budget - that takes discipline but that is also the key to success.

This is the (free) tool I use:

Hope that helps.

12 Likes

Agree with a lot of this, and another to add would be the type of products people buy. A lot of people buy branded products, but even moving to supermarket brands can cut a shopping bill by a hefty amount.

And while I didn’t work in finance management, I worked in retail management for over a decade and the number of people who couldn’t afford what they were buying but needed the food for their children etc. We would help them switch from brands to supermarket brands which saved them quite a bit.

3 Likes

There is no cheaper version of buckfast :grimacing:

4 Likes

Home made elderberry wine?

Does that contain chemicals?

If you drinking buckfast, your probably cutting out food costs entirely :joy::joy:

1 Like

Have the one day graphs (if not the prices) gone a bit Pete Tong?! Yahoo Finance v Freetrade

Yahoo use a different close price to FT, I think they use mid while FT use last trade price, can’t remember. If you look at google finance I think they use same as FT.

Thanks - not sure really as it was a huge discrepancy but it seems to have corrected itself anyway

You’ll notice this across platforms.

Both Yahoo and Freetrade use different data sources.

IEX for Freetrade, NasdaqGS Real-time price for Yahoo

But even then both are slightly off nasdaq themselves. though yahoo is much closer.

That said when I had a look myself across all three, with were all within $0.01 of each other. There’s not much in it

I always take ‘real-time pricing’ to actually be near real-time, no matter the source. the important thing is you’ll get the best price possible on a trade.

The bigger difference ive noticed is you might see a larger spread of numbers after closing. I think this might be down to what’s taken as the ‘last’ price. and how often they update after close.

There is a really good book by Michael Lewis called Flash Boys. It should really be required reading for all investors but among other things tells the story of how high-frequency traders spend millions to get meters closer to the exchange & straight fiber connections to get data quicker. Data, in this case, is the ‘price’ before others get it and they can front-run trades.

TLDR - If you want to get to finite detail there ain’t really one price unless you trade.

2 Likes

Lizz truss wants to change the BOE mandate from inflation to growth.

Hello money printing hyperinflation

1 Like