What is going on today? - Megathread

It may be worth checking out Short FTSE100 and Inverse S&P500 as these seems to be the only ‘inverse’ funds available on Freetrade currently. Bit bleak but may be worth a careful look.

1 Like

Deleting the app for a few months may be an option :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m up 18% so far. But hedge it imo.

1 Like

:laughing: not a bad plan

1 Like

I hear we could be heading for a great depression rather than the recession we’re in just now that would be fun :frowning:, as for the recession the Bank of England thinks roughly 2 years of neg growth.

As for Monday mmmm further falling of the pound I foresee, rising fuel, rising energy etc etc

Anyways I’m away to the fair today with the wee ones to enjoy the recession :smiley:

Adam makes things sound brighter :slight_smile:
glass always half full
no need to panic

Let’s hope he’s somewhere near right.

1 Like

I’m quietly confident my portfolio will see a good week. It’s all about the macros now and the spin put on things. I still feel like i’m playing a game someone doesn’t want me to win. But i’ve got a good hand even if they keep changing the rules.

1 Like

Can I come out from behind the curtains yet? :man_facepalming:

Everytime I look I’m further down…first time iv been an investor and seen anything like this. (Iv only been investing 18months or so). So many things now look cheap, but I’m putting off buying anything as I feel out of my depth on what’s going to happen next.

2 Likes

hint: watch fed interest rate. rate goes up, stock goes down, rates go down then stocks go up. its stupid, but thats the stage we are in in 2022

1 Like

What is it going to take to turn the pound around now and increase the FTSE once again? I don’t really understand the options now for things to improve? Sorry if this is obvious to some or too vague. Just trying to understand the situation.

Probably a new Chancellor and one that hasn’t got close connections to Crispin Odey.

8 Likes

Any relief rally will be brief. Fed is committed to raising rates, hiking (from a generally deeply unimpressive) BOE will hit the UK housing market proportionally far more than most other countries. Puny FX reserves. Huge current account deficit not getting smaller any time soon.

Do what the smart money is doing: sell the pound and buy short term treasuries.

I’m specifically talking Sterling btw, FTSE could well benefit.

3 Likes

Assume also because putting money in a bank with guarantee rates back is a safer bet than bumpy markets.

1 Like

They need to raise interest rates further for a start.

Personally I’d be happy if house prices in the UK dropped significantly.

8 Likes

Iv just agreed a sale on one of my btl and have everything else remortgaged for next five years. So I’m happy if there’s a drop in a few months time. As long as bounces back within 4years.

1 Like

Me too. The way things are going though I don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy a property. Prices need to drop, and banks need to start including rental payments as proof that you can pay a mortgage which is 30% cheaper than your rent :sweat_smile:

8 Likes