What is going on today? - Megathread

China does keep muttering about invading Taiwan and sabre rattling around the China sea having disputes over navigation rights/ownership with neighbours. That’s why the UK has just had a carrier task group on exercises down there. Two RN patrol vessels have been sent on long term deployment to the Indo-Pacific. So it does seem that things are getting rather moody in the region.

4 Likes

I think its Taiwan not Thailand

8 Likes

Oops!

1 Like

Few comments here about the potential of China invading Taiwan, which I really don’t think is credible concern and not worth worrying about.

If China did invade Taiwan the impact on the markets are the least of your problems, because it means something has already gone incredibly wrong to make that at all viable.

Also if it happens you’ll be too busy joining the hordes of people outside shops, because you probably have 24hrs to buy any new tech products you might want for the next decade before searching through the drawers for your old iPhone 6 to list on ebay for £2k.

10 Likes

The Chinese would call it reunification not invasion but that’s semantics

5 Likes

They call labour camps education facilities, not sure the name matters when everyone know what it is.

6 Likes

Indeed… the same thing but the two words can evoke a separate connotation for different people or groups. Not that I’m taking sides, the Taiwanese should be free to choose their own destiny and not feel bullied by a larger neighbour.

3 Likes

Ahhhhhh the markets the markets

3 Likes

Who’s dip buying?

2 Likes

Probably everyone

1 Like

No funds until Friday :pensive:

By then all this opportunity will probably be gone

4 Likes

Got hardly any funds to buy, and so much red in the market too!

1 Like

Indeed. I think it is likely they will invade Taiwan in our lifetime.

China has antagonised Vietnam, Japan and any other country in the South China Sea region. They won’t stop there.

China has been invading for years , and locking up who they want. They started small with Fulem Gong, Tibetans, and Uighers for now.

Hong Kong has been undermined so far that Britain set up special visas for them to escape.

The CCP have the internal power and control to rewrite laws overnight without any cheque and balance. One day company A may do business, and the next day they mayn’t. The same goes for market regulation.

Xi is the next Mao, and Mao threw his people under bus. The rest of us are just tools and resources for the CCP to use including markets equity and tule of law.

3 Likes

I will take sides. I side with Taiwan, democracy, freedom, and liberty. The CCP won’t side with me.

3 Likes

Never going to happen, it’s all posturing. If China did invade they could kiss goodbye to most of their export market as the world would be mostly united against it. They may try and do something politically like in HK but they wouldn’t invade.

Isn’t that what they said about Germany?

1 Like

Evergrande, inflation > than expected, tapering s coming, a little of fu**in covid, raw material to the moon…

What i forgot? :thinking:

1 Like

Not really sure and totally irrelevant. Todays world is totally different with global markets that didn’t exist in those days and this thing called nuclear weapons. The Daily Express etc may want everyone to believe war is imminent but it simply isn’t.

Of course that isn’t to say something bad like HK won’t happen but invading won’t and nobody in high up places seriously believe it will or the stock market would see much bigger dips for starters :joy:

Evergrande owes money to 292 financial institutions :grimacing:. I hope Beijing step in to rescue them or we can face a new crash I am afraid

2 Likes

No one really knows what Beijing will want to do…

One thing is cristal clear someone is going to be rich, other 98% is going to drawdown.

1 Like