What is going on today?

If your new to investing I’d only have at most 10% of your portfolio as individual equities. Start of with a diverse selection of ETF’s like s&p 500 / Vanguard FTSE All world / emerging markets. Perhaps also Ishares Gold and some corporate bonds, gov gilts too.

1 Like

My portfolio is down at the moment, all but one one are in the red at the moment. I’m just going to leave it and not fret about it. Let’s just hope they rise. Pinterest has taken a tumble too!

1 Like

Good plan. Look at how my last month has gone, the massive dip was when it was back to being in the red. The new dip forming is Tesla pulling everything down :sob:

What’s the line throught the middle of your graph my portfolio doesn’t have that.

It’s the middle point between the highest and lowest value.

Did you put that in then.

No, it’s there already.

Mine doesn’t have that line through me graph.

It doesn’t for your portfolio, this is for an individual stock.

No this is for my Portfolio. I’m on iOS.

Ok thanks thought that was your entire portfolio.

Thanks thought my portfolio may have had a bug.

1 Like

I’m down on almost everything I’ve bought since getting the app in April. Astrazeneca is doing alright, Unilever is doing great and good old Ford is still almost 10% up (although that might change when US market opens)

No point worrying about it though, just waiting for dividends to start rolling in

3 Likes

Since getting access on Android, I’m down on almost everything I’ve bought :grimacing:

My money is in a mixture of ETFs, carefully studied and selected stocks, and one I threw a few pounds at when I first got access and wanted to test how it all worked.

The only individual stock that’s up? The impulse test buy :rofl: The carefully studied picks which looked to have potential - this company is undervalued, that company has a growth opportunity coming up, I predict good news for company X - have all gone down to various degrees :see_no_evil:

The rest of my growth is in the ETFs, though the far east ones (diversification) have gone down.

I feel like the poster boy for the “This is why you should have most of your money in ETFs” argument. (Spoiler alert: I do :sweat_smile:).

I’m not panicking too much about the individual companies being down just yet. They’re all tens of pounds rather than thousands or more, so I’m not over-exposed. The Brexit effect on the pound is going to account for quite a lot of the drop, given its across the board. And the arguments I put together for buying still stand in most cases. tl;dr, they’re long term holds so I hope to see gains eventually.

What I probably won’t be doing is buy more of anything on the way down just yet. Feels too risky as it would unbalance my portfolio away from ETFs. I’ll want to move the balance more towards ETFs first before taking more risks to make sure I have wiggle room and the balance won’t go the wrong way.

(tl;dr, Brexit is the worst. Followed by Trump. ETFs only is sensible for foreseeable future for me.)

2 Likes

Pets at home is keeping my portfolio somewhat healthy at the moment

Great stuff thank you for sharing. The positive is that once Brexit is finalised one way or another we will hopefully start to see FTSE shares start to play catch-up with their worldwide counterparts.

I am down on everything bar BG Japan Trust. Fidelity China special the most at -12.65%, followed by Bunzl -10.57% and SMT -3.15%.

Trade wars, Brexit uncertainty doesn’t really matter at this point in my opinion as if your a long term investor it means more for less. Probably notice more as you can check prices instantly with FT app, whereas once upon a time you bought with a broker and left well alone for 10years+

Ignorance is bliss :sunglasses:

1 Like