What is going on today? - Megathread

Maybe someone can help.
Some of my stocks have turned this weird colour today. It looks almost like blue and yellow got mixed together.

Are FT aware of this bug?

9 Likes

wasnā€™t there a murder first though? :thinking:

Quite frustrating to see markets go up quite a bit in the last 3 working days whilst sitting on our new ISA money, no doubt there will be a nosedive now that Iā€™ve finally put it all in this morningā€¦ :sweat_smile:

That would be the red weeks leading up to this? :stuck_out_tongue:

you guys had red weeks? :stuck_out_tongue:

I keep reducing the number of shares I am invested in. Got rid of two today that were red and worth around 0.7% each of my portfolio. I donā€™t want to keep track of stocks that I have so little invested in and donā€™t plan to increase my holding in. Down to 14 now that I care about.

1 Like

Looks like any gains from INRG Friday have disappeared today.

1 Like

As I and others have said, it is probably trading at the correct value now tbqh. I donā€™t anticipate it shooting up as much as it did, but if it is slow and steady, then I might dip back into it one day.

1 Like

Emotions badā€¦
Have put some in index?

1 Like

Iā€™m happy with my strategy. I just went off track a bit as I kept adding my savings and ended up invested in too many stocks. I figure why invest in your 20th favourite stock when youā€™re more confident about your first 10? I think there becomes a point where you have your fingers in too many pies. Iā€™m not sure what the right number is but I figure anything with less than 2% of my portfolio isnā€™t an investment I care enough about.

Iā€™m avoiding indexes for the time being. Prefer well researched stocks with potential for good returns.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, I guess I do that subconsciously too.

My targets are 16% each for my FTSE100 and S&P500 trackers and between 3% and 6% for companies I like depending on my interest in them. Companies Iā€™m taking a punt on because I might be interested I put in at 0.5% and if I think theyā€™re just undervalued I stick in at 1%.

However, itā€™s interesting looking at the actual values. All of my higher targets are underinvested compared to my targets, because theyā€™ve done well in the last few days and I canā€™t bring myself to keep dollar cost averaging those stocks daily when theyā€™re so much higher than before even though my spreadsheet says I should continue to do so to maintain my target.

On the other hand, my speculative investments have also done well, so the ones at 1% target are all sitting at about 1.5% actual (but my plan is to just hold rather than sell because eventually as I invest more in the other things, the ratio will get back to 1%).

Interestingly, most of the ones at 0.5% target havenā€™t done all that well, but I wonder if thatā€™s an effect of them being relatively new investments and so they havenā€™t had a chance yet to rise enough to cover the FX fees.

95% in etfs, 5% split in speculative stocks and zero in meme stocks etc for me. (Boring, I know!)

Works well enough for me at the moment. No panic selling; no selling on the dip etc.

My core three etfs are all in the green and Iā€™m happy itā€™s making money considering they were all red a few weeks back. Just shows you need to sit tight and stop selling all the time.

My speculation bets are alright at the moment, one went up like 11% last week but has dipped now. I think what happened was everyone bought it to het the special dividend! Itā€™s still in the green! :slight_smile: the other one has been red for a while now but thatā€™s because it is constantly hitting bad pr. I reckon itā€™ll go green again one day when it stops getting smacked by the bad news lol.

In the meantime Iā€™ve used the watch list to see how I would have done if I picked stocks individually. Some have grown pretty well, but quite a few have been flat or even dipped. Many have dipped despite good prospects, just shows the market is irrational I guess? Iā€™ve enjoyed watching the list in any case, probably because Iā€™m not losing any money on it! Lol

3 Likes

sometimes, timescale. 6-12 month, 3-5 year, 5+ year (for example)
Iā€™m up to about 30 if you include commodities and bonds, some I have stopped buying and expect to start trimming down on this year, some Iā€™m buying lots of expecting to hold for 12 months to a couple of years and others Iā€™m buying small amounts of planning to go bigger a little later down the line.

1 Like

The way I see it, if I have a stock that is 1% of my portfolio and I m hoping for say 20% gains, those gains are a 0.2% boost to my portfolio. I donā€™t see that as worth the time and effort to do proper research on the company and follow it regularly enough to keep track in case of bad news. I would rather just add that 1% to a company I have thoroughly researched and believe in.

I got burned on some more speculative stocks with 1% or less that I hadnā€™t researched very well. Like a month ago I would have been all over 88E with 1-2% and the share price crashed almost 70% yesterday. I managed to avoid it. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m taking this approach now.

@manoadamro I guess it depends on how risky you see those investments. Like surely you donā€™t have time to track 30 stocks every day. But if you see some of them as low risk then maybe you donā€™t need to. I donā€™t check my lower risk stocks daily. Iā€™m thinking somewhere between 10-15 is a good number for stocks.

1 Like

yeah, thatā€™s pretty much the size of it.
Some of them need very little work (things like PG for example) Iā€™ll check up on them from time to time but even my riskier picks donā€™t need anything close to daily attention, Iā€™ll do a proper DD on most things once a quater and just keep an eye on the news feeds in the meantime. That said, I donā€™t really do highly speculative stocks anymore (largely because I canā€™t be bothered to do the leg work).

1 Like

To be honest I am guilty of over-checking my stocks. I like reading the discussions around them. On here and other forums. I donā€™t think I have more than 2-3 stocks that I need to check daily for news and that is more that Iā€™m expecting good news soon - but there is a risk of bad news. The rest of my stocks I could probably check way less than I do and still be happy.

well, when it comes to watching prices or reading forum discussions, Iā€™m pretty terrible for that too (even for stocks I donā€™t own :smiley: ). I do try not to let the random news articles or comments affect my quarterly DD though.
Ultimately all I care about is: ā€œdo they make good money?ā€ and ā€œwill they continue to make good money?ā€ which is hard to answer with day to day articles.
good/bad news (depending on what it is of course) will likely have a more temporary affect than making good money.

I should clarify: Iā€™m not saying this is a good way of making massive gains but it has been a good way (for me at least) of making modest gains with minimal effort

Talk of those <1% stocks. I had about 0.7% in RMS yesterday and sold it because I felt it wasnā€™t worth keeping a holding that small. The company makes Covid masks. Apparently have just had their product approved by the MHRA and the share price is heading north. Maybe it is worth keeping those little ones around.

3 Likes
1 Like

Another nice steady day in the market. Onward and upward as they say.