What is going on today? - Megathread

4 Likes

get ready for a chain reaction. Supply chain issues / logistics are a huge task to recalibrate and while this happens it’s going to drain others who are leveraged imo.

im readying myself for staple price increases. ordering a billion tin cans from tesco and got some seeds for the back green.

too much?

3 Likes

I didn’t panic buy last time and won’t this time.

4 Likes

A billion seeds and some tin cans might have been the better bet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The UK government has said that the lights won’t go out - so they probably will. Buy batteries and candles!

6 Likes

I would but I’m bullish, you see.

1 Like

I know nothing more than the average casual financial press reader but this bit from the end BBC provides some rare balance to the sky is falling narrative.

5 Likes

All this is fearmongering and click bait. Every company is aiming to make a bit more money out of the situation. Yes, there is an issue but it won’t be fatal as made out. The same kind of stuff happens every winter but the media are just getting worse and worse.

For the last few decades every single autumn/winter we have our local news say that the hospital is at critical point and it always ends OK, obviously they are too stretched but that’s not the point, and then next year say the same thing. With covid it was still the exact same which surprised people as surely it should have finally collapsed.

All we get is fear nowadays, Covid will kill you, Terrorist refugees will kill you, World war 3 is imminent, Climate will collapse, Brexit will destroy the country and the rich are to blame for everything. In reality all are genuine issues but blown WAAAAAY out of proportion, maybe not the climate one :joy:, and I would bet my last dollar the stock market is higher in 6 months-1 year than today.

5 Likes

This made me laugh :joy: I did read the other day the fact many people have been spending lots more on the weekly shop and that is contributing to the empty shelves but it is much easier to blame lorry drivers.

Tbh I’m pretty frugal, can keep for quite some time too and to me it’s more prudent than loo roll lol. Moreover, I can certainly understand the shop run however I’m pretty sure my footprint is magnitudes smaller than others’.

Also, out of curiosity, I wonder how many average Joe’s got prepared for a crash like 1929 or even knew what was happening when it happened?

2 Likes

I think a lot more people panic buy than realise. My mum buys stuff in case it isn’t there next week and if everyone/many does it in the country it is a huge amount causing a problem that shouldn’t exist, or at least be smaller.

I read I think in the Guardian or BBC the average spend was still up about £20 which I thought must be wrong but that was about 4 weeks ago. Personally, I shop often so it doesn’t affect me and I prefer daily end of day deals :joy: leaves more to buy shares.

1 Like

Agreed.

It’s the same mistake everyone makes about people. They don’t understand their motives, and then get stung (or killed) later. They won’t see it coming.

Not new.

Cold war ever present on the news with CND surrounding the air base on Greenham common.

Every week a terrorist would hijack an aeroplane, divert it, execute some passengers, and the either be stormed or escape.

Polio was a thing at some point and we all got vaccinated en masse similar to Covid.

I know people who made lots out of the oil crisis on futures.

Nothing changes.

2 Likes

No. The whole point of the Euro comes from integrating economies previously in competition to have ones having shared incentives. It was a condition to reunification.

Pre WW2 the punishment / reparations imposed on Germany created the perfect storm once hyperinflation and the Great Depression it.

1 Like

Market is on a high. Stocks overvalued. But there will be a correction .That will a time to scope good value stocks once they decline.

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

plus ça change mè plus c est l meme chose. :frowning:

2 Likes

‘Stop watching the news!
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn’t your own’
Morrisey was right about one thing.
I look at the headlines in the morning and in the evening and that’s it.
This is a good essay on why you should avoid the news.

2 Likes

That’s bad news for us.