Which crowdfunding companies have you invested in?

Can I ask why you gave up?

I was just disappointed by returns, even a successful crowdfund like Podpoint I only got ~70%. I have stocks in my freetrade account that have done way better than that, and I can sell them any time I want. Looks like Freetrade is going to be a big winner. but the ones that have exited so far have been a bit meh, even though theyā€™ve all made a profit so far

2 Likes

There is a lot of luck in the draw with these companies - also disappointed by the early exit of Pod-Point because I think they could have sold for significantly more if they had managed to hold on for another couple of years. Iā€™ve sold half my Revolut shares at 10x profit on the secondary market which was best exit so far. Hoping for big returns from Monzo / FreeTrade / GoHenry / BrewDog & remaining Revolut. Have also scaled back new investments recently until I see something special. Currently looking at Classlist on Crowdcube as a potential small investment.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought itā€™s a bit pointless tying up money in a risky illiquid investment for years if you can get similar or even better returns from listed stocks. I havenā€™t even looked at crowdcube for months

1 Like

Completely agree with the last 2 points. Having invested in quite a few companies on both Crowdcube and Seedrs, I cannot claim it was worth it, exception for:

• the odd gem like Freetrade
  • education

It is completely valid the advice to treat these investments like money thrown away which might never return anything. Anything different is a bonus.

These days, I only invest small amounts and only if I see really good founders and product-market fit.

2 Likes

I heard that if PodPoint had held off selling for a few weeks the investors would have been able to claim 30% EIS incentive. My first investment was Monzo and I have invested in about 30 companies since then. I honestly have high hopes of doing well. I think Freetrade and Hitmarker are certainties to bring magnets returns. If I only get 25% companies giving returns I am confident they will cover my other 75% without returns.

1 Like

My perspective on this is that crowdfunding has its place as long as you recognise that it is risky and illiquid and should not be a large part of your investments.

It has allowed many smaller companies to flourish prior to vc investment, and for some companies like freetrade it is also a great sales funnel - investors are also ideal customers.

My list hasnā€™t changed, but Iā€™ve invested a few times in:

• Marketsflow now strowse - didnā€™t live up to its ML promise, now going nowhere IMO
  • Freetrade - doing well
  • Monzo - doing well modulo the pandemic and I hope will flourish when it is over.
  • Coconut - doing well and thankfully moving more into the accounting services side, I wish monzo would buy them for the business account side

On paper they have been some of my best investments (even writing off strowse), but weā€™ll see if they ever turn into hard cash, if they do even at present valuations Iā€™d be really happy.

Personally Iā€™d avoid anything risky like retail, hardware or research projects, and invest a decent sum (~ 1k) in each pick, because otherwise the gains are not worth the trouble.

Hoping to one day see my freetrade shares in freetrade!

13 Likes

I think your gohenry will do very well,I missed the boat on that one and invested in the competitor that is RoosterMoney :+1::grinning:

1 Like

Pod Point was frustrating - Share Certificate issued 20 April 2017; EDF notified as having control 24 Mar 2020.
At least it was a positive return (albeit offset by the loss of the EIS) unlike Chilango, Circuitree, Filmore and Union, Hopstuff, and Sugru

1 Like

I have invested in:
Freetrade (77%) - 3.1x unrealised
Monzo (16%) - 1x unrealised
Manilife (7%) - 3x realised (Seedrs secondary)

2 Likes

For whoever invested in Imagen Therpeutics, have you seen the investor business update they put out today? They seem to be very positive.

Blockquote Reflecting on how far the business has come, in such a short period of time, we are confident that Imagen has
found its place in a hugely lucrative and expanding market. In summary:
ļ‚§ We have hit the key milestones we set out to achieve
ļ‚§ We are on track with our KPI targets
ļ‚§ Demand for our services is extremely strong
ļ‚§ We are definitely ā€œhitting the spotā€ in terms of the right product at the right time at the right price

1 Like

Yes, very pleased. Growing their US sales team will be key but could be a massive revenue boost. This is one of those businesses that often gets overlooked in the platforms. Looks a bit boring, a bit technical so hard to understand unless you are knowledgable but hopefully will generate a huge return.

1 Like

Yea and I think theyā€™re looking for a US VC raise within the first half of this year too. I think the prospects for exit on this are likely a big pharma company buying them out. Their bio-bank could be incredibly useful for pharma companies testing new pipeline drugs.

Honestly, when I invested in the crowdfund I didnā€™t look too much into it beyond their pitch and wasnā€™t very informed on the industry. But now I work in the pharma research industry with big pharma clients so am much more knowledgable in the field, and now Iā€™m more confident in their business.

I joined a small Q&A with their CEO and it was clear how driven he was on growth. Interestingly he joked that why sell at Ā£100M when a year later it could be worth Ā£1Bnā€¦either of those would be a great exit although would love it to be after the EIS CGT periodā€¦high class problems ;o)

1 Like

What are peoples thoughts on Monva or Swipii?

I donā€™t know if price comparison websites really need updating but if it automates more of the mundane tasks then it could be quite a good idea. However I think it could easily be money down the drain.

Swipii is something I can see myself using, itā€™s a good idea and helps out local businesses. I really like the idea of it but will small businesses actually use it or not? I use sites like Quidco and see Swipii as the answer for smaller local businesses. If itā€™s all automated and connected to your card as well it makes the whole cashback process easier. One thing I think people donā€™t like is having to open up an app / find a loyalty card when youā€™re at a checkout to get your cashback.

Got into Plum in 2018. Pleasantly surprised to see the shares going for Ā£18 on the latest seedrs secondary market.

3 Likes

In my opinion monva wonā€™t be making a big impacted in their space which is very crowded and everyoneā€™s competing for small margins. Swipii donā€™t seem bad but they been operating since 2015 and Iā€™m not impressed by their traction to date.

2 Likes

The company doesnā€™t seem to fill any purpose. If you want to be more green, you make different decisions in life, you donā€™t just get another piece of plastic to stick in your wallet.

3 Likes

There are a lot of companies working I in carbon offset. I actually think the idea is good, but itā€™s obviously not an ideal situation to plant a tree so you feel good about buying some shit from ASOS.

2 Likes

They would be happiest if you had only a virtual card and no plastic. Through open banking you can also link other cards. They aim to provide you information on the impact of you spending which is hard to get a handle on. You can then choice to adjust it/ offset it/ take note of hints and advice they will provide when armed with this knowledge. They will also offer ESG investments. All in a green brand. Itā€™s a big ask but the potential is large if they can pull it off.

1 Like