Which crowdfunding companies have you invested in?

Invested in Super U in 2019. They were on Dragons Den last night and they received offers from all 5 dragons! Indicative valuation has tripled/quadrupled since.

7 Likes

Among the companies I invested in Crowdcube apart from FT, it seems JustPark and Vita Mojo are promising. Any thoughts on these two?

And so believe are coming back to Seedrs too…

1 Like

@Chrislewisuk Yes Super U are doing a new crowdfunding round. Register here for priority access! Super U | EIS Crowdfunding Investment | Seedrs

JustPark does seem rather promising post-covid. Admittedly, I invested more than I was comfortable with so hoping for a strong recovery. Not heard of Vita Mojo.

1 Like

The product can be copied rather quickly by other fintech or traditional banks. Revolut is like the Facebook of finance, they are ruthless in copying competitors and adding features.

1 Like

To a point I agree. If someone set their mind to it could they quickly copy it? Yes. Quite likely. They would argue that they can’t copy the brand. As far as traditional banks are concerned most are very non green with a whole history of questionable ethics and non green lending which is hard to shift overnight. You can’t just bolt on a climate engine. Some would also question some of the ethics of revolut in your example. So not as easy to replicate as you might imagine. Establishing a really green business that is not just green washing almost requires you to start from scratch or take a long time changing.
But they do have to establish this brand moat. They don’t have it yet.

Any thoughts on Skipping Rocks, now known as Notpla?

I invested in it a couple of times on Crowdcube but I’m not sure if this company is progressing at all :frowning:

1 Like

I also invested a very small amount in them, but am not sure what direction they’re moving in.

They do seem to have undergone growth in team size (just based on a look at their website) and they have worked with JustEat, but not sure how their plans to scale-up are going.

1 Like

I went for Vendoir the other day. They describe themselves as the Uber for the events industry. An on demand booking app for vendors

1 Like

This is a terrible graphic as unless you look at the numbers, the shaded area makes it look like the value of FT has slowly decreased over the last 5 years after an initial jump.

9 Likes

I thought about this one but do people really need an app in this industry, I know nothing about it but. I would have thought a web site is the main thing people use. I can’t really imagine people logging into an app much.

Completely agree re Podpoint. Apparently IPO is on the horizon too.

I could say exactly the same thing about booking a taxi, yet Uber now has a market cap of over 100bn. Maybe its exactly what the industry doesn’t known it needs :man_shrugging:

I decided to throw some money at it anyway. Time to forget about it for 5 years i guess

Booking a taxi with an app was fantastic, I remember as a kid phoning taxis and they wouldn’t pick you up unless you gave them an address that you lived at, you could never find one or they would never turn up.

For events though, I presume you have to have it well planned, the spontaneously isn’t there, obviously without knowing anything about the industry I can’t make a educated comment on the matter. I see the benefit of having all providers on a dashboard like a holiday booking site. Ah who knows, good luck with it anyway.

1 Like

TBH I haven’t read it but the thought of AI and customer service terrifies me :joy: So many places customer service is ruined by cost cutting ideas like “auto” this or that. To me nothing beats the good old “real” person :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe I should have explained deeper :+1: and having now looked briefly at the site. It still worries me as instead of speaking to someone who knows the product they would no doubt now hire a numpty on minimum wages if the screens say yes or no.
That’s not to say I don’t think it will do well and probably a very good investment :+1: as most companies want to makes jobs obsolete or so simple they can replace easily with anybody.

1 Like

One of their competitors is UI path who is significantly more funded and better product offering. But they are one of the better crowdfunding companies I have seen recently.

1 Like

Only Monzo for me.

When a lot of us invested 2.5 years ago, it felt like a no-brainier, and the consenus was that our investment would surely balloon very quickly.

Well 2.5 years later… the valuation has done sweet fanny adams, and the IPO, if it ever happens is at least another 5-6 years away!