Which crowdfunding companies have you invested in?

Got into Plum in 2018. Pleasantly surprised to see the shares going for £18 on the latest seedrs secondary market.

3 Likes

In my opinion monva won’t be making a big impacted in their space which is very crowded and everyone’s competing for small margins. Swipii don’t seem bad but they been operating since 2015 and I’m not impressed by their traction to date.

2 Likes

Tred raising now on Crowdcube. I think this company could be massive,does anyone else have an opinion.

The company doesn’t seem to fill any purpose. If you want to be more green, you make different decisions in life, you don’t just get another piece of plastic to stick in your wallet.

2 Likes

There are a lot of companies working I in carbon offset. I actually think the idea is good, but it’s obviously not an ideal situation to plant a tree so you feel good about buying some shit from ASOS.

2 Likes

They would be happiest if you had only a virtual card and no plastic. Through open banking you can also link other cards. They aim to provide you information on the impact of you spending which is hard to get a handle on. You can then choice to adjust it/ offset it/ take note of hints and advice they will provide when armed with this knowledge. They will also offer ESG investments. All in a green brand. It’s a big ask but the potential is large if they can pull it off.

1 Like

Invested in Super U in 2019. They were on Dragons Den last night and they received offers from all 5 dragons! Indicative valuation has tripled/quadrupled since.

6 Likes

Among the companies I invested in Crowdcube apart from FT, it seems JustPark and Vita Mojo are promising. Any thoughts on these two?

And so believe are coming back to Seedrs too…

1 Like

@Chrislewisuk Yes Super U are doing a new crowdfunding round. Register here for priority access! Seedrs | Super U | Pre Registration

JustPark does seem rather promising post-covid. Admittedly, I invested more than I was comfortable with so hoping for a strong recovery. Not heard of Vita Mojo.

1 Like

The product can be copied rather quickly by other fintech or traditional banks. Revolut is like the Facebook of finance, they are ruthless in copying competitors and adding features.

1 Like

The deal with the Dragons fell through and was not completed. Superfoods firm Super U aims for America after Dragons' Den success - Business Live

1 Like

To a point I agree. If someone set their mind to it could they quickly copy it? Yes. Quite likely. They would argue that they can’t copy the brand. As far as traditional banks are concerned most are very non green with a whole history of questionable ethics and non green lending which is hard to shift overnight. You can’t just bolt on a climate engine. Some would also question some of the ethics of revolut in your example. So not as easy to replicate as you might imagine. Establishing a really green business that is not just green washing almost requires you to start from scratch or take a long time changing.
But they do have to establish this brand moat. They don’t have it yet.

Any thoughts on Skipping Rocks, now known as Notpla?

I invested in it a couple of times on Crowdcube but I’m not sure if this company is progressing at all :frowning:

1 Like

I also invested a very small amount in them, but am not sure what direction they’re moving in.

They do seem to have undergone growth in team size (just based on a look at their website) and they have worked with JustEat, but not sure how their plans to scale-up are going.

1 Like

I went for Vendoir the other day. They describe themselves as the Uber for the events industry. An on demand booking app for vendors

1 Like

This is a terrible graphic as unless you look at the numbers, the shaded area makes it look like the value of FT has slowly decreased over the last 5 years after an initial jump.

8 Likes

I thought about this one but do people really need an app in this industry, I know nothing about it but. I would have thought a web site is the main thing people use. I can’t really imagine people logging into an app much.