Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

Probably a dumb question but one that has puzzled me for a while. Itā€™s about dividend. As far as I understand when cash dividend is paid the share price is adjusted down by the amount of dividend paid. So what this means (it seems to me anyway) is that you are gaining dividend in the form of cash but loosing out in terms of the share price. Assuming everything else being equal for a moment, is the net gain from the dividend payment netural?

I do understand that in many cases the ā€˜gapā€™ created by the dividend adjustment do close hence dividends would net gain.

2 Likes

This is far from being a dumb question. Quite the opposite.

A satisfactory answer implies having under consideration aspects like dividend yield or payout ratio, amongst many other things.

Here you can read about the effect of dividends on stock prices. Have fun

4 Likes

Some investors purchase shares just before the ex-dividend date and then sell them again right after the date of record ā€“ a tactic that can result in a tidy profit if it is done correctly.

Iā€™ve tried this strategy in the past and it is fiendishly difficult !

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Incorrect portfolio value after purchase?

Hi everyoneā€¦:blush:ā€¦im new at all this & im totally lost on the whole thingā€¦:frowning:ā€¦ive paid for some shares but thats the end of it all for meā€¦do i have to sell them to make money or pay more money for themā€¦:thinking:ā€¦ive not had any change in my account & im so confusedā€¦i just thought id have to buy stocks & just wait to recieve any earningsā€¦:face_with_hand_over_mouth:ā€¦i know u all will probably think im a bit daft but i dont understand all the big words to explain it allā€¦:frowning:ā€¦i would appreciate any help with this topicā€¦thank uā€¦:blush:

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: What should I invest in first?

Before investing, what savings steps should you take first? Cash savings? Pension contributions?

1 Like

Take a look at r/UKPersonalFinanceā€™s flowchart:

4 Likes

What would happen to my shares if freetrade stopped trading ? Also how do I receive my dividends does cash just appear in my account ?

You get an intercom notification when a dividend is paid. Itā€™s planned to have an item in the activity feed as well.

Know your first question had been answered a couple of times but canā€™t find a link atm. Theyā€™re safe as theyā€™re held separately is the short answer. But they arenā€™t going to stop trading.

1 Like

So the money from dividend will just appear in your account automatically on the date it is due to be paid ?
I wasnā€™t think they are going to just stop trading and run with my money but if companies go bust and just wondering how I would get hold of my shares if that did happen would i need to take note of a certificate number in order to transfer them to another broker ?

It could take a few days after the due date depending how quickly the company sends it, if itā€™s paid by cheque etc

Found it. Earlier in this thread

3 Likes

The key thing is that your investments are safe and secured by FSCS, who as far as Iā€™m aware are actually very quick to resolve these things, so you wouldnā€™t have to wait ages to get back your holdings.

But in the unlikely event of Freetrade failing I think another broker would buy the client book so your assets would move over to them.

1 Like

Hi there, noob question here. If I buy shares in a company through here, am I entitled to things like listening in to investors meetings, share holder perks, voting where applicable, etc? If so, how do I go about proving ownership?

Iā€™m sure there is a lot of variation between companies, but in general?

Itā€™s really cool, you get a direct message telling you the dividen you got and the cash just appears in your Acc when itā€™s awarded as cash obviously. I got my first one recently and it was awesome :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Jesus that is a scary amount of assets to momentarily be floating in the wind. Crazy.

Evening all! Stocks & Shares ISA question here.

I note the following from a Freetrade blog post:

• You can only contribute to one of each type of ISA each tax year.
  • Based on the current rules, you can keep as many ISAs as you want open.

My question is on the specific definition of ā€œcontributeā€ in this. Does this only refer to depositing cash into the Freetrade ISA account? Or does it also include any one of: buying shares, selling shares, receiving dividends, buying shares with received dividends or withdrawing cash from a Freetrade ISA?

I am intending on depositing a lump sum of cash into the account before the 5th April with which I will buy/sell shares in the next financial year. I do however want to keep my options open for the next financial year and donā€™t want to prevent myself from opening a new Stocks & Shares ISA with a different provider in the coming financial year.

Thanks in advance,
John

Salutations @john.com

Unless I misunderstood, which wouldnā€™t be the first time btw, a contribution refers only to depositing/ transfering money into the S&S ISA.

Once inside, according to current rules, you can buy individual stocks, ETFs or Trusts. The proceeds derived from either received dividends or through capital gains on the sales donā€™t count as contribution to the S&S ISA. And they are tax exempt forever. Or at least till some government decides to change the rules.

2 Likes

Raul, thanks for your reply.

That is what I thought (and hoped) and it is nice to hear it from another source. I guess the key point is that the whole Freetrade ISA account counts as the ISA, cash and all.

2 Likes

Yes, perfectly acceptable.