Choose to pay SIPP fee from the SIPP account

Just learned a friend didnā€™t transfer their SIPP to freetrade because of the fee coming out of the bank account every month. They would have definitely transferred if the fee was taken directly from the SIPP. Out of sight out of mind.

4 Likes

I was going to open a SIPP account but now I am having second thoughts due to not only the monthly fees but not being able to pay them via my SIPP balance (which would make it a business cost in simple terms, no corporate tax paid etc).

As a business owner we always want to be the most tax efficient possible and this is a really simple feature to add. :confused:

Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t switch a couple of pensions over would save me money but just didnā€™t want to have another bill. When itā€™s lost in the pension itā€™s out now f sight out of mind!!

I personally just have my SIPP with vanguard, and have that as the only account in my vanguard account. This allows all the fees to be directly paid from the SIPP, as vanguard doesnā€™t allow you to have different payment settings for 2 different accounts.

1 Like

Now that Freetrade changed SIPP layout - is it possible to pay SIPP fees from LTD company/sipp account? or still the same?

Freetrade doesnā€™t care about this one bit so might as well lock the discussion. As long as Ā£9.99 is going from you to them each month they have zero interest in figuring out what works best for you or your tax position, or what is ethical and right or wrong.

I explained to them that while i have a SIPP with 5 figures in it which may help me financially in 30 years, i currently cant afford to pay Ā£10 a month from my familyā€™s personal finances as i have a low income, am on universal credit and this Ā£10 comes out of my familyā€™s food budget when it should clearly come out of the SIPP as with every other provider. I said look i have a cash balance in the SIPP of hundreds of pounds,so please take it from there, and they said thatā€™s not something they are able to do at the moment.

They raised it internally (to the board if i recall?) and i got a few months free subscription as pity/hush money, but then never heard back about the actual issue. After the free period they tried charging my expired card every day for over a month before suspending my ability to buy or sell anything within the SIPP. When i asked whether thats ethical they basically said if you dont want to pay Ā£.9.99 a month outside the SIPP then you can transfer your SIPP to another provider who does that.

I would have done this however most of my SIPP investments are in US stocks and i would get hammered with FX fees and losing from buy/sell spreads, so i have just swallowed the pill and am paying 9.99 a month even though it is coming out of a food budget.

I am embarrassed to have been an investor in Freetrade 5 years ago because of this issue. Really crap half-baked product, no product development at all for years and disjointed and unhelpful customer service to boot. It stinks :poop::poop::poop:

Iā€™m sorry to hear money is tight but I donā€™t believe Freetrade are being unreasonable here.

They stated from the start that they currently cannot take fees from within the SIPP.

If this is what you want to happen, then your option is to transfer your SIPP to a provider who does collect their fees this way (My AJ Bell SIPP does this).

2 Likes

May I suggest Freetrade allows paying yearly PLUS subscription fee from cash in SIPP account

3 Likes

Agreed this would be a huge benefit at almost no real cost to FT and hopefully a reduced administrative effort (once once per year) if that is the hurdle.

It would make the annual price twice as attractive to customers.

2 Likes

I hope FT will consider taking fees from SIPP account, for higher tax rate and above, the difference isnā€™t small. A competitor launched SIPP in January 2024 which takes fees from SIPP account, Iā€™ll be transferring to them before long.