Newbie advice please

Beat me to it :wink:

Your best bet is to find the charges for a fund using the key information document provided in the app but holdings are best go ogling the fund directly and looking for the constituent parts

You can also try the ishares website direct. https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/251911/ishares-global-clean-energy-ucits-etf?switchLocale=y&siteEntryPassthrough=true

4 Likes

iShares Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs) | iShares UK ā€“ BlackRock
Vanguard https://www.vanguard.co.uk/professional/product?fund-type=etf
L&G https://fundcentres.lgim.com/uk/en/fund-centre/ETF
Invesco Country Splash | Invesco UK

Trusts all have their own website that has a bunch of info

Also LSE website is good for UK shares trading info London Stock Exchange | London Stock Exchange

1 Like

Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. Still doing research but Iā€™ve decided on 5.

Going all funds and I think its diverise enough. At the minute Iā€™m just going into ETFs till get my head round it more.

Ā£25.00 start in each and then Ā£25.00 each month (Ā£125.00)
1.iShare Global Green Energy
2.Scottish Mortgage Investment PLC
3.Vanguard S&P500
4.Vanguard FTSE All-World
5.Slightly unsure whether to go with (ishare Gold ETF, Sliver ETF or MCSI World or china) I feel going MCSI seems a safer option

2 Likes

Seems a bit complex for such a small amount of money.

Not much point in doing All World and S&P 500 as a large percentage of All World is S&P 500.

I would suggest going for 3 funds rather than 5. Clean Energy + Scottish Mortgage + All World.

But just my view. And not a recommendation.

Your biggest focus in the next couple of years should be raising your income to contribute more rather than worrying too much about which ETF to pick given the amounts atr small.

Good luck. :+1::sunglasses::beers:

3 Likes

Good advice Jim

My other opinion is to give more weighting to the global funds than the green energy as it will reduce the volatility in your portfolio which may bother you.

Also MSCI isnā€™t a safer option than FTSE. Theyā€™re both reputable index providers. What you have to look at is fees when comparing them.

If you want to diversify away from equity and like precious metals then gold and/or silver is fine. Just remember that you ought to hold these assets for a hell of a long time.

Remember to hold your nerve and keep investing when you see your portfolio go down in value. Youā€™re in it for the long haul!

3 Likes

I hold this, decent, popular as well. Its a little heavy on PLUG taking up 11% of the fund at the moment, but just something to keep in mind.

I hold this also. its currently right on the dot on premium/discount against its value. It might be worth getting their magazine if youā€™re holding any of their trusts for some time https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/trust-magazine/about-trust-magazine/

Also a Jan webinar for SMT https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/scottish-mortgage-investment-trust/ic-video/2021-q1-sm-webinar-full-recording-ind-we-1877?p=13758

If it was me id be inclined to just put it all into VWRL rather than split it between these two but thats just me, nothing wrong with both of these.

Why? Whats the goal?

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the magazine, Iā€™m a fan of Baille Gifford but I had no idea about that. Definitely gonna have a look at that.

Also bare in mind with SMT itā€™s about 10% Tesla which is the only thing that puts me off it really. But if youā€™re confident in Tesla then I think it would be a good choice

1 Like

You can get a physical copy mailed to you too!

In my view sticking with Tesla was a stroke of genius rather than luck. Iā€™m a fan and itā€™s exciting to see them expand their aggressive approach into private equity.

1 Like

Definitely doing that. Iā€™ve listened to a few of their podcasts and Iā€™ve got a lot of faith in them but Tesla just feels like a massive bubble atm and Iā€™m convinced if I do invest at any point then itā€™ll be about a month before it bursts. Having said that the odds of me being right and them being wrong do seem pretty slim.

8.9% it used to be around 12%, theyā€™ve been selling some off recently as well

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Really helpful. Signed up the magazine as well.

Long term (talking a long here like 20+ plus years) just putting some money away that doesnt need to be touched at all. Only disposable income will be going in that doesnt need to be touched.

Yeah Iā€™ve decided (I think). To just go with vanguard all world and not the s&p 500 and weight more into this.

Can you pop me in the right direction (name of the podcast). Would be good listening whilst at work

Theyā€™re called short briefings on long term thinking, they donā€™t do them very often but theyā€™re quite interesting

1 Like

Worth pointing out, you canā€™t buy some of these with Ā£25 to start. VWRL for example is now around Ā£80 for one share, since we donā€™t have fractional shares available for them yet.

Obviously, if youā€™re just putting away Ā£25 p/m in anticipation of buying that share, ignore me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I learnt this morning. I went for S&P 500 instead

Hi Frank, you can set up an isa directly with freetrade if you havenā€™t already put money into an isa elsewhere.

You can do that either by paying Ā£3 a month to get just the isa account or you can pay Ā£9.99 a month to get freetrade plus, which also comes with an isa account as part of the Ā£9.99 fee. With plus, youā€™ll also get access to more companies than without it, different order types and 3% interest on any cash balances up to Ā£4000

4 Likes

Wulfy nailed it tbh. No way I could ever explain it better :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sorry @Barka181, wasnā€™t sure if you were on to respond :slightly_smiling_face:,

@Franky7 it depends on your goals and long term aims I believe. To be clear, investments currently are taxed as either dividend income in which each person has an amount they can earn in dividends before tax is chargeable and capital gains tax, where each person again has an allowance (currently circa Ā£12k per year) that you can earn before tax is applied to anything above.

For me, the benefit of an isa is that it shields your investments from day one and although tax rules can change, I think its more likely that the government will first change the capital gains tax and dividend tax allowances before they would ever touch the status of an isa being a wrapper against tax for your investments.

Its also a pain in the arse to have to sell all of your holdings and transfer cash into the isa and rebuy because youā€™ll end up losing money because of any difference between the buy price and the sell price, not to mention foreign exchange charges too.

I think they have already stated it will be Ā£1k :wink: but yeah things can change pretty quickly.

The fx fee is charged by freetrade rather than your bank in this case but is obviously only charged on investments in USD listed equities.

Thatā€™s the way I look at it yeah. Capital gains is only calculated at the point of sale of your shares so if they just grow in value and you still hold them, itā€™s technically not a crystallisation event in how to calculate capital gains tax. I fully expect the annual allowance on capital gains tax to be reduced given the pandemic spending but only you can work out whether paying the isa fee is beneficial to yourself in the long run, in either a bit more certainty or the chance of you exceeding the annual allowances.

1 Like

Just to add on the CGT on the GIA if youā€™re buying and selling stocks frequently that your total gains from each sale comes near the CGT threshold things can start to get a bit more complicated.

Thereā€™s different rules for calculating CGT on shares bought and sold within 30 days and shares held before being sold over 30 days (a section 104 holding).

One of the benefits of an ISA as @Wulfy points out is you donā€™t need to keep track of all this and know the CGT rules inside and out.

Not a problem if your GIA account only has a couple thousand in it, quickly a problem if youā€™re selling huge sums of assets or are essentially day trading

2 Likes