Robinhood article - Sunday Times

• Freetrade User
  • Freetrade User + T212 User
  • Freetrade User + On Robinhood Waitlist
  • Freetrade User + T212 User + On Robinhood Waitlist

0 voters

3 Likes

Interest mainly, to find out when they might launch in Australia gives a feel for when they may launch in Europe. I was discovering and investing in Freetrade back then

1 Like

Fair play - I couldnā€™t fathom out the reason :slight_smile:

1 Like

Theyā€™ve pulled their Aus launch and just said ā€˜eventuallyā€™.

Seems like their #1 spot in the waiting list holds more than one person :joy:

4 Likes

As great as FT is i think the UI for RH is much better. Itā€™s just more intuitive and user friendly. Iā€™m a crowdfund investor in FT and i believe in itā€™s future of investing in the UK but if it comes down to a blow for blow competition, which it eventually will btw both platforms i think most users would pick RB. Iā€™m only saying this because i would like FT to rejig their UI a bit and take some notes from RH.
With regards to the actual question i think FT isnā€™t doing close to enough to market their platform. If i wasnā€™t actively searching for trading platforms i would never have come across it. On a daily basis i see adā€™s from other trading platforms such as Plus500 (Might be incorrect spelling) as well as plenty others but absolutely no web presence for FT. They need to work on this IMMEDIATELY otherwise when RB eventually launch in the UK itā€™ll be very tough to beat them.

Signed,

Concerned investor

4 Likes

Hi, I think a few of us have talked on the forum in the past too about the trade off of marketing to gain users against the cost of that but more importantly for me at the moment is to also consider that freetrade isnā€™t at the feature strength that I think it should be when pushing the platform more widely and at higher cost. Its a fine balance between when to market against the risk of reducing the effictiveness of that marketing if the features arenā€™t there to convince the new user to stay.

Hopefully over the coming months that will be balanced.

5 Likes

I agree with Wulfy, get the app fully developed and then hit marketing button. Iā€™m hoping most key features can be developed over next 12 to 18 months and then full on marketing.

2 Likes

The visual user interface and the graphs could be improved, but probably the main thing that affects my investments is not getting real-time quotes.
I was surprised recently by a large price variation between the on-screen price and the price I paid, which caught me off guard - I had forgotten that it could happen on FT.

4 Likes

When you look at the features of the USA apps like Robin Hood and M1 finance, they do try to better each other in features and services. Like some interest on uninvested cash, auto dividend reinvestment by risk category, more stocks to buy, zero foreign exchange rate cost in buying foreign shares and plenty more.
Iā€™m on the waiting list for the UK robin hood but I do feel that to gain market size itā€™s more above offering something which your competitor (RH, M1F,T121,Degiro) canā€™t offer like buy Asian / European / African stocks, more uk stocks, joint alliances with the UK banks like a white product, better finance management, targeting marketing to the over 35ā€™s given they have more wealth, free ISA and referral income from loans from banks to give investors the ability to borrow, cfdā€™s and lots more.

Donā€™t get me wrong I love Freetrade (probably not as much as you Ben :joy: - love your enthusiasm) - and Iā€™ve invested in 3 rounds so far, but I really donā€™t see the harm in getting some more marketing done. Looking at the comments from people on this thread, people just donā€™t know about FT. We are getting there but surely more can be done. Who cares if the product isnā€™t 100% perfect (what is?!) but surely with more people using the product it means more cash coming into the business, for more marketing and product improvement etc. And so the snowball picks up pace. Why wait 12-18 months when RH is right around the corner ready to snap up a large chunk of the market?

10 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree with you more. The product will never be fully developed, that isnā€™t how product development works in agile.

I would have preferred that Freetrade had a big marketing push before Freetrade Plus is released. Mainly because the USP of ā€˜zero fees investingā€™ doesnā€™t really work when you are pushing for Plus sign ups @ Ā£10 per month.

With regards to my earlier post, once I had explained Freetrade to them there was a lot of interest (I had to start giving out friends referral codes :sweat_smile:) and I think that shows theres a lot of potential customers out there who just havenā€™t got the message yet.

2 Likes

I have been on the waiting list for a very long time with Robinhood (UK) I got so fed up and started googling and stumbled across freetrade and another (212), am happy with free trade as a new user to the space but 212 seems to have some good things that free trade is missing for instance deeper info in to the stocks. Not sure if this exists but is there a public roadmap of improvements freetrade is working on as it would be nice to see as a happy user that is waiting for more bells and whistles. Freetrade while a good first option may lose more involved users to their rivals if they do not up their game with constant improvements at a steady speed. - EDIT - Just found this Stock trading (zero commission) & investment app | Freetrade

8 Likes

Welcome onboard @Willibot Roadmap is at Stock trading (zero commission) & investment app | Freetrade

3 Likes

thanks jim found before i saw your reply but thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kinda shocked that investors are signing up for Robinhood waiting list not knowing there are free trading brokers. Glad you found us!

7 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s that surprising, they have quite different offerings which means someone aware of both might choose to wait.

However the more likely reason is that RH is the established brand, with its millions of users comes big brand awareness, many people probably arenā€™t aware that FT and 212 exist. Anyone reading US forums will have seen thousands of references to RH over the past 5+ years though.

I am one of those, read the piece in ST and then Freetrade came up when i searched for Robinhood.

13 Likes

Welcome onboard!

1 Like