A list of companies cutting their dividend

HSBC and Stran Chart cancelled and HSBC tanked up to 9% today in HK. Causing a bit of panic as every man and his dog has a chunk of HSBC in HK and they are seen as a measure of how well its going here.

1 Like

not suprised.

29p ?

Yep it’s true
 all banks are cutting their dividend. :disappointed_relieved: :frowning: :sleepy:

Quote from Financial TImes:

“In response to a request from the Prudential Regulation Authority, Barclays, Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds, HSBC, Standard Chartered and Santander have all agreed to scrap 2020 interim dividend payments and cancel their payments for 2019.”

This, is why we don’t put all our eggs in one 
 sector

Sucks. was expecting a fat juicy pay off in May :frowning:

2 Likes

The investor community collectively asked businesses not to keep cash in the bank, not to build up a rainy day fund. We asked that the cash be returned to us via dividends and buybacks. Chickens coming home to roost.

7 Likes

Please don’t speak for me. BoE are r tards.

Fortunately for everyone, the regulators introduced extensive capital requirements for banks. Without this, banks would have been defaulting worse than 2008 and we’d need to bail them out again. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

It was quite annoying, especially Barclays which was like two days before the payout. but I can see the reasons, and it does make sense for them to hold onto the cash. I’d rather the company remain healthy, I’m sure they’ll all start paying out again as soon as possible.

4 Likes

Here’s one not cutting their dividend - ex div date is 23rd April, yield 11%.
As usual, please do your own research

4 Likes

If they have enough free cash flow to payout and still weather the storm then why not?

However, a large payout by a financial firm is likely to be controversial at a time when many people in the UK are unable to work and others are facing significant hits to their income.

Some of us have taken a hit to our income because of cancelled payouts! :rofl:

2 Likes

HSBC are kopping it here in HK today , the masses are not happy. Everyone her from tea lady to cabbie to Execs hold HSBC and most seem to be saying they bank on the divi . Can see some big social pressure coming as dissent will viralise fast here and can quickly turn to smashed windows and firebombs in the current environment here where there is still a thin line between law and order still being in place and carnage on the streets and mob rule

1 Like

@hongkonggooner - hong Kong AND a Gooner
 cool !

Well at least the Chinese Government can’t appropriate and take over the company !

But yeah, HSBC dividend cut sucks
 Lloyds, i can understand.
Did HSBC really need the BoE bailout?

Has a season ticket pretty much all the 90’s before I ended up in US and then Amsterdam and has a Ajax season ticket for 4 years. I loved football but have to say that my appetite has come off a bit in last few years as I am not sure a fan of some of the light weight play now. I have to admit I would rather see a Steve Bould or Keown welcomer than some fancy wing back 
 saying that I do like watching Man City and Liverpool when they are playing like the Invincibles used to with pace and some aggression.
Pretty sure HSBC didn’t take any BoE , they got bailed out by the UHNW HK families if my memory is right who mad out like bandits pretty quick on it as they got as a good discount.
HSBC are probably being very careful at the moment until they decide finally to move out of London or not and that decision which has gone on for years might get forced by whats happening now. With them getting lined up on more FX front running charges can see they might just get out. They do seem to be consolidating a bit more here and have also changed completely in a few ways, they have laid off a lot of people in HK in 2019 and that was unheard off before

2 Likes

Add Aviva to the list. Final dividend due to be paid beginning of June has been cancelled.

1 Like

More pressure from the BoE on insurers. Wonder if we may see a u-turn from LGEN now as the outlier

Was really hoping this one would go ahead :sweat: still better to have a business left than a dividend now.

2 Likes

you’re joking !!!

i’m being hit everywhere !

ah well
 still bought another 39 shares in Avivia though. Better than buying toilet paper. (just about)

1 Like

I wish it was a joke. Still a good bet tho. The dividend money is still in the business, I don’t think they’ll be hit too hard by the virus, they’re not having to furlough anyone (yet). Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I like a dividend as much as the next guy, and I don’t care in the slightest that they’ve been cut. If you’re in long term then this is just an amazing opportunity to bolster your position in each dividend stock. I’m happy missing out on 6p per barclays share because they’re literally half price right now!

3 Likes

yes, exactly right.

1 Like
  • but please, bolster your position in quality dividend growth stocks with inherently goood fundamentals.

you don’t want that same company to be paying you that same meagre 6pence when you’re in retirement.

2 Likes