Anyone had a worse performance?

Thatā€™s great to hear. I think averaging down on funds is a bit different to individual stocks. SMT recently communicated that they werenā€™t buying the dip:

ā€œWe possess no competitive advantage in trying to predict short-term market gyrations. Therefore, no tactical attempt was made to capture recent market swingsā€

This is a similar reason why I have not added to my TDOC and BOO holdings. Their share prices are subject to some fundamental performance. They got slaughtered partly because they performed poorly and that their valuation was too high. Buying shares just because the price has fallen would make no sense unless they actually posted some great results. SMT is a portfolio of many stocks with long term growth stories so as long as youā€™re confident about the strategy itā€™s acceptable to average as the share price falls or discount widens.

6 Likes

My worst performer is Netflix at -34%

That was a rookie error buying it too high, during a tech-dropout in the markets and after poor outlook reports.

Luckily itā€™s not a lot of money but it all adds up to teach me how to - or not to invest!

I sold a bunch of poor performers during their highs before they really crashed, so very pleased that I did. I had not done done enough research on these companies before hand and was using my initial small trades like a baptism of fire!

6 Likes

I havenā€™t been using freetrade long, just over half my purchases are in the red.
The worst performers are Moderna, Netflix, Meta and Lucid.
Overall Iā€™m down about 3% but itā€™s early days so Iā€™m not concerned.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bit different to what Iā€™m talking about. If you are confident in the company and building a larger position over time lowering your average price is fine.

But what Iā€™m talking about is what you see in a lot of the penny stock threads, people risking more and more of their capital on something that has been in a steady downtrend for months with no real sign of turning around.

6 Likes

My crypto related shares (microstrategy, coinbase, a couple of bitcoin miners etc) are all heavily down, but as they move in relation to bitcoin prices, Iā€™m not really worried, and just waiting for bitcoin to hit Ā£100milliion and retire.

4 Likes

I do believe in arrival or did like you Dave and my stock is about 63% down I love the idea and can really see it working but who am I compared with company and governments giving it :white_check_mark: the go ahead

1 Like

My worst picks are:
CCHWF (not available on Freetrade) -53.3%
Tezos & Cardano (for those who want crypto on Freetrade) -53.69%

After that, and first share that is actually on Freetrade:
AAL -32.48%. Fun fact - I bought it 22.01.2020. Does anybody remember what happened a few weeks after that date? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Youā€™re not alone. That comes with investing in capital markets. I once bought Metro Bank @ around Ā£4, after it plunged from Ā£35 in 2019, Iā€™m now 80%+ down but it doesnā€™t matter because I am prepared to lose any money I invest. If I am not willing to take the risk on a stock, I simply donā€™t buy it. On the other hand, I invested in NIO and made a return of over 1400%, never cashed out and the price plungedā€¦I sold it at a profit but not as much as I would have done at its peak.

2 Likes

Did the same with nio but held it tbh. Still growth

I am green :pray:t3:

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m down on most but Iā€™d only lose if I sell and thatā€™s not why Iā€™m here, Iā€™m in long term so current SPs donā€™t matter. The important thing was to get in at a lower price than where theyā€™ll be in 1 year at least and Iā€™ve researched all my areas to be as certain as I can be.
GLA!

4 Likes

Yep - lots of stock has dropped, with no let up yet

2 Likes

My Boohoo is down -60%. Most my stocks are down 35-45%. Holding long term :pray:t3:

2 Likes

To this I say what fundamental analysis did you do to value the company? For example, I am buying BABA for anything under $200 because my models all say this bad boy is underpriced so I am buying all day, and if I get liquidated due to regulatory issues, ok, I have an account ready to go over at interactive brokers to buy the hong kong shares and freetrade will miss out as I cash out and buy over there.

The red is a big fat discount tag for the right company and i pray it goes lower :pray:. I am down aswell, but have solid companies, some trading well below liquidation value which is crazy townā€¦spike VIX spike! Go go go :smile:

A fan of Ali Baba andā€¦

ā€¦am I detecting a fan of Scott Galloway and the Pivot / Prof G podcasts by any chance?

1 Like

The stock lives up to its name. It makes you boo hoo. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha!! Boo hoo in deed!

3 Likes

Ive also had the same on a few, but ive tried Virgin Galactic. Ive seen this go up & down, and watching this can be Ā£60 up to Ā£30 down overnight, but if it hits the 59/Ā£60 it was last year then thats the outcome im hoping for.
Im trying to stick to dividend stocks as im in it for the long run, but thought id try VG as i think this will rise. Just dont sell while low, even if you break even in 6 months, keep the faith.

2 Likes

Sometimes selling even with huge losses can be the right decision. I sold out of the well known FTSE 100 company Baltimore Technologies with a 70%ish loss and it was still the right decision as it went on to become a member of the 99% club. I can see the US market and quite a few US companies following a very similar pattern to 1997-2001. I donā€™t know any of the shares you are in (apart from Whitbread obviously) but donā€™t think a company canā€™t go bust or existing shareholders be diluted out of existance. Make sure you are happy with the underlying company, not just the fact a 70% loss means it ā€œmustā€ go back up in price. Finally, if you think a 99% loss is bad, I also held Ferranti and Coloroll!

3 Likes

Iā€™m down 73.99% on deepmatter

Tragic investment and theyā€™ve shafted investors with a placement thatā€™s killed the Shareprice

You live and learn