Beyond Meat and Zoom have landed on your Freetrade app! 🍔 🎥

Yeah, everyone is saying we must stop eating meat or we must limit consumption but what happens to BYND in 10 years when some meat company/university finds a more environmentally friendly process to produce meat? and even then; both the environmentally friendly and BYND ways need to lower their prices & ease of access to match current meat or most people won’t be interested

They adapt their product range :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Any advice on what you buying?
Paul

As most of freetrade customers will be completely new to investing wouldn’t it be better to put more stable stocks on to start with. All these new IPO stocks are not very stable you can either make a fortune or lose your arse which would then properly but people of investing.I would like to see more ETFS being added which would be better for people completely new to investing like myself.

Have you got figures for this? There seems to be a lot of experienced investors as well so you have to strike a balance.

You won’t attract people to use the app if the things they want aren’t there

2 Likes

I am not investing in Beyond Meat despite thinking that it’s an exciting product and market.

There are plenty of other competitors in this space, Beyond Meat is just the first to go public. I’ve not tasted any of these products, but for me, Impossible Burger sounds most convincing.

And it’s too early, these products are still being sold as niche premium brands. Right now, Impossible charge $1 extra for their Impossible Whopper at Burger King. No one has scaled up and produced convincing meat alternatives cheaper than meat itself. At that point, the world changes.

Raising and slaughtering cattle has to be several times more inefficient than growing and harvesting crops, which has to be several times more inefficient than growing animal cells in a culture. Getting to that final step will make the world a better place and make a lot of people lots of money, but I’m not placing a bet that it’s Beyond who will get us there.

1 Like

No figures but as freetrade is designed to let the average Joe invest without the high fees while freetrade getting started there properly more newbies than experienced investors.

Great to have these both on the platform, looking forward to Slack joining soon. As for buying either of them, I think they’re both great companies but both overvalued currently. Zoom is a tech company, I can understand their growth story and pricing more, but still unconvinced. Beyond Meat I would love to buy into, but yes I think the price now is too high, there is no way to justify this required growth rate in the near term at all, but it’s on my buy list and I will watch it closely!!
Please keep adding equities and collectives, lots more to go still :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would have liked to pick up a few shares in BYND, but at a much lower price, I think it’s got too far ahead of itself and there could be a big drop back to reality coming. They obviously have a good product but they aren’t the only ones making meat free “meat”

4 Likes

Yeah I remember the hype in 2013, Amazon was definitely overpriced at $400 but it wasn’t at $300 in 2014… that’s when Prime took off and became more than a next day delivery thing, and Amzon became much more than just online retail, they took over Twitch and launched the echo, cash flows exploded. Right now it is just FOMO, everyone wants to catch the next FB or MSFT

4 Likes

Amazon is a perfect example of reinvention of the business model. You didn’t mention the part that contributes 50% of amazon’s profit: AWS. No one would have forecasted this 10 years ago.

4 Likes

I’m happy to speculate a small amount just for the sheer momentum on a cost-averaging basis. If my one share is still climbing in two weeks then I might buy another. This kind of situation is where stop-losses would be valuable, although I don’t see it tanking within a single day.

1 Like

Didn’t see that coming - I’m up 25% on Beyond Meat and 10% on Zoom. How do we view these stocks one month on? Small time in real investment terms but signs of maturity in the IPO stocks?

2 Likes