šŸ“š Books megathread

Anything new, surprising, or crazy in the book, Oliver?

Principles, by Ray Dalio.

1 Like

Not read it but thought Iā€™d share in case anyone is interestedā€¦

Inspirational Investing: What matters in the world of investing, by women for women by Amanda Taylor eBook is available as a free download until 31st March 2022.

Itā€™s also available on Apple Books and Amazon Kindle for the same price Ā£0.00.

2 Likes

Burton Malkiel - A Random Walk Down Wall Street. Great book.

And so is How To Make Money In Stocks by Bill Oā€™Neil.

This one

Just Keep Buying by Nick Maggiulli and The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel are worth checking out.

You can get 50% off this weekend plus free UK delivery when you use the code HHBF22 in Harriman Houseā€™s website.

p.s. Iā€™m not affiliated with Harriman House, they just emailed me this offer, so I thought Iā€™d share.

2 Likes

The investment trustā€™s handbook 2023. New out and FREE to get on your kindle via Amazon. As someone who invests in ITā€™s I read this each year. Interesting to hear the thoughts of managers in different sectors, although with it being free Iā€™m sure there is an element of it being a sales pitch as well.

I am currently reading this book - The Psychology of Money. There are many things that people might have a perception about, but this book provides facts that help sharpen it or even reflect on new facts. I highly recommend it. Another one that I read and enjoyed a lot was the story of Nike. Despite not being related to investments, it shows us how one of the most iconic companies in the market emerged, as well as the obstacles its founders faced. Excellent.

2 Likes

Many have already said some books that I would recommend but hereā€™s a few more.

Rich dad, poor dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki and
Warren buffet on business by Robert G. Hagstrom

One thatā€™s not about investing which is great is 48 laws of power by Robert Green (Banned in UK jails)

2 Likes

Wowā€¦is it real?

Yes because of what it teaches but I find it a great book. I have it on audible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wellā€¦ that got me curious :sweat_smile: . Iā€™ll add it to my list.

1 Like

I would list everything on here but itā€™s probably best you read itā€™s topics, itā€™s quite a big book as well at just over 23 hours long with another book that took quite some time the intelligent investor at 17 hours, most other books range 8 hours to 12 hours so itā€™s a good buy. Hereā€™s a summery below.

"The ban was classified as a security measure, accompanied by a brief explanation. Prison officials were concerned that the books, Jensen said, could show inmates Ā«how to control people, how to get people to do exactly what you want them to do.Ā» Knowledge is power ā€¢ Law 15: Totally destroy your enemy. "

Thatā€™s the author speaking about his book etc. I think people can take what they want from it, myself I donā€™t get hurt by whatā€™s said in the book at all if anything it opened my eyes on how to deal with a set few at work and in general. The book also showed me what I was doing to others without actully knowing I was doing it. I remember laughing to myself at work going shit thatā€™s what I do lol.

1 Like

Not sure if itā€™s been mentioned above, but if not and for anyone interested in commodity trading and in particular the history of Glencore, try ā€˜The world for saleā€™.

Fascinating read regarding the massive power that commodity traders once had.

Just finished listening to ā€œThe Trading Gameā€ (Gary Stevenson) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Its a biography of a working class lad who becomes a star trader in the 2000ā€™s.
No trading tips, just an interesting insight of the life of being a trader.

If you are the main account holder on Spotify, the audiobook is free to listen to.

2 Likes

Just finished listening to it myself. Maybe take some of it with a pinch of salt, but entertaining nonetheless.

1 Like