[Crowdfunding 🔨] Coconut

Iam on growth plan and its nice. You can create invoices and it gives vat corporate tax estimates based on the tags and vat.

https://vimeo.com/426285111

2 Likes

Anyone have a copy of the pitch deck from the previous round that they could privately share?

Would be interested to see the pitch deck from the last crowdfunding round as well. If anyone has it, could you please share it with me privately?

But Starling does this too? Sole trader bank account | No monthly fees - Starling Bank (granted, closed to new sign ups right now) Again, I’m not shilling for Starling but I genuinely don’t understand the perceived value in Coconut (not a bank) given the same features are available elsewhere. It’s frustrating me because I feel like I’m missing out on something key!

There are various companies entering this space. The founders gave a pretty comprehensive answer on the Crowdcube discussion forum regarding the competition:

Can you please explain who your competitors are? I feel like Deloitte Propel might be for example but I am not sure. This will help us understand how mature the market is and may be come up with some comparables.

Good question. Our customer segment is self-employed people. To us, self-employment is a mindset, rather than a legal setup, but there are 5m in the UK. Whether you’re a sole trader or small limited company, if you have fewer than 5 employees, we think you’re different to other businesses. You’re the sales person, star employee, head of operations and finance director all in one.

Deloitte Propel is an interesting one and not far off, but their target segment is bigger companies. In fact I think Coconut would ourselves be a target customer of Propel.

Categories of competitors as I see them:

Cloud accounting packages

Xero, Quickbooks, Freeagent and similar products. We compete with these on a few dimensions. If you look in our competitor slide I think it outlines this.

Whilst these are good products if you’re an accountant, finance trained or a company with >10 employees, they aren’t great if you’re a small, owner-managed operation. Cloud accounting was built in a time when smartphone penetration was below 20% and the prevailing smartphone was the Blackberry.

We’ve seen the effect of mobile-first disruption on banks, when you realise that real-time notifications and nudges create a transformative experience that you couldn’t have imagined before Revolut. We’re bringing the same mobile-first, real-time thinking to accounting and tax.

As a practical example of this, the first question you are often asked to set up your “chart of accounts” in accounting software. As an accountant, I even find this a stressful concept. With Coconut, you just connect your current account and we extract 24 months of banking data. Then we apply our industry-leading “Accounting Intelligence” to categorise and you have a P&L and tax insights without any data entry.

This is a totally different experience to Cloud Accounting and the value you deliver fast is a 10x transformation.

I think one of our customers said it best:

“I’m absolutely loving your app. I’m a new business owner and have been running my business for almost a year now. I’ve tried Quickbooks and Xero and would get so frustrated I felt like I had to have multiple cups of tea in a sitting just so I could remain focussed on what all of the terminology means, but with Coconut I don’t have to and it’s such an easy and enjoyable process. THANK YOU!!!”

What’s more, we have 1,300 accountants now using our accountant portal and some of those asking about transitioning fully to us for their self-employed base rather than using cloud accounting because it’s more efficient.

When you combine this with the fact that we can also process payments and hold money, you create a superpower that’s difficult to match with traditional accounting products.

Smart banking & accounting combos

Examples of this are ANNA Money and Countingup. Whilst our initial products were similar for various reasons, both companies are very focussed on the banking & accounting combined. With ANNA even explicitly going for a banking license.

We’re very different as, whilst we do also offer a current account and card, we’re current account agnostic and powered by Open Banking. It’s unique to us that we can work with customers who don’t have a current account with us. We can power up any type of current account with our Accounting Intelligence and platform, whether you’re a Barclays, Lloyds, AMEX or Starling customer (you can connect accounts from any of 20 different banks to Coconut).

There are 5m self-employed people in the UK who already have a current account and we can work with all of them tomorrow. What’s more, this is going to enable us to grow fast internationally too.

Smart and traditional banks

Companies like Tide, Starling, Revolut, Barclays etc. We see Coconut as the ultimate accounting and tax tool for self-employed people. Banking is a complicated business and to do it well takes time, money and focus. Current accounts are also becoming commoditised. Accounting products are also a complex category of product and to do it well takes focus.

We’ve seen smart and traditional banks partner with Xero and Quickbooks to effectively outsource their bookkeeping features. And we already have customers from these banks through Open Banking so work with all of them (except Tide) at the moment. We are building a layer on top of the banking infrastructure, powering up dumb bank accounts with really cool accounting features.

What’s more, many customers manage their business across 2 or 3 accounts and credit cards. You can pull all of them into Coconut providing one place to manage your business.

Dedication to self-employed people

One other point to make around competition is that we’re completely dedicated to self-employed people. We believe this gives us a moat we can continue building. We don’t dilute it trying to build for bigger businesses.

We want to be the obvious answer to the question, what accounting product should I use for my self-employed business.

It means we can also start solving some of the problems specific to self-employed people where your business meets your personal life: paying into a pension, getting a mortgage, finding the right loan, getting access to benefits like sick pay that you had in employment, medical insurance etc.

These aren’t problems that any company focussing on a range of different business sizes will try and address but creates a big revenue opportunity for us and a clear differentiator.

Other types of products that could be competitive are:

• Open banking plays - Portify (although more consumer now), Albert (acquired by Santander)
  • Feature apps - Receipt bank, Invoice2Go
  • Existing tools - spreadsheets, shoe boxes
4 Likes

I appreciate the reply! I’ll take another look at their website, thanks :slight_smile:

Interesting launch from coconut today. They are moving into accounting services, which I think is a great fit for them - there is a lot more money in that than providing bank accounts and tight integration with the bank account is key for categorising expenses. Many small companies and self-employed don’t really need a dedicated accountant as long as they had help like this to file their accounts every year.

3 Likes

I dont think that is what they are doing - they are just integrating with accountants. Long term they should offer this but at this stage makes sense to partner. Its something they should offer after they taken all the learning they can from accountants but are hardly likely to announce it

I think that’s exactly what they’re doing. But you’re right that they’re moving softly and getting accountants on board first. They’re already doing VAT and corp tax calcs in app, there is no reason for doing that unless they plan long term to take over those basic functions from accountants. It will be a long road though and they need to keep accountants on side while they travel at least the first part of the journey.

Obviously there will always be a significant role for accountants in any business of size or unusual requirements, and for advice on tax planning, but for all those small businesses/self-employed, they don’t really need an accountant, they need services like setting up an ltd, a bookkeeper and tax submission and not much more. They are of course a great source of income for accountants as people pay a lot for not very much work, so accountants would be sad to see them go.

So first coconut start logging every transaction for business so they can calculate expenses (done), then they insert themselves between small businesses and accountants as a market maker and extract a small fee on the accountancy fees every month (this product), then they gradually move into basic accounting, and at that point why do you have an accountant if you’re a small and simple business?

2 Likes

has anyone received official wind down yet?