eToro

Also, be aware of the $25 fee to withdraw your cash from eToro.

2 Likes
The vast majority of retail customers will lose money (some eye-watering amounts and very quickly) and as a result, will be put off from investing for life. It is incredibly damaging and takes advantage of get rich quick mantras.

yeah, I feel ya, there is a lack of educational material, but then again, go to any stock exchange or whatever and its the same story. I think in the end of the day it is our responsibility to understand what we are getting ourselves into. Pesonally I think etoro is quite bad at the education part… just look at a broker like IQ Option instead, I think they are MILES ahead of the competition both in terms of how advanced their trading platform is but also on the education part…

But in all honestly not even the NY STOCK EXCHANGE is educating their users on investing or exactly how it works. Its the same crap :slight_smile:

In the end of the day I would recommend external education such as books, or readily avalible content on free website. Just google search and you shall find what you are looking for.

It is but at the same time, I’m not sure whether the majority of users do. After all, if more users were aware of this, would they use these platforms?

There’s quite a big difference between buying stocks via the NYSE & using things like leverage in my humble opinion.

4 Likes

Would be interesting to survey customers of CFD brokers and get their view on those stats. Unbelievably bad.

1 Like

Is it the same story? Is there any data on the % of customers of a stock exchange that loose money?

P.s. no disagreement that better education should be looked at from all parties

eToro have a notoriously bad reputation.

The principle of piggy backing other investors public trades, encouraging action based on past performance, just reeks of a company up to no good.

I would stay well clear.

5 Likes

eToro just launched in the US EToro bringing crypto trading and wallet to the US – TechCrunch

1 Like

Feel like a bit of a traitor… But eToro have a competition at the moment to win 10 grand to invest in stocks through them.
Enter here…
[Buy Stocks Commission-Free on eToro™: 100% Stocks, 0% Commission - eToro™]

I skimmed the T&C

On the competition End Date at 10am, the three entrants at the top of the waiting list will win. Two other winners will also be randomly drawn from entrants whose waiting list position is an ​even number​.

Why? :joy:

2 Likes

If waiting list numbers constantly change based on referrals, I assume it’s a cunning plan to keep people referring when they land on an odd number.

This is an interesting idea though as people love competitions, even with terrible odds. Perhaps freetrade could steal the idea at some point to get some publicity. I’d require something like £100 invested, then you’re in with a chance of a prize.

I think I’ll give it a miss.

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s very close to the line on UK competition laws though, I remember competition laws being strict. Something people raffling their houses are finding out.

I received an email from them today stating they’re now doing zero fee stock trading, and they’ll even pay the stamp duty on your behalf (no doubt covered in the spread) but this applies on real instruments only, and not leveraged or unleveraged CFDs.

Seems like everyone’s getting in on the free-trading business now.

For anyone interested, look at the (incredibly cheeky) url below:
https://www.etoro.com/trading/free-stocks

It doesn’t look like they’re approaching things like ISAs, and likely won’t, but it’s an interesting shift that no doubt competitors like Freetrade have helped shape.

2 Likes

Front page of city am yesterday

2 Likes

eToro’s charges are quite high :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Freetrade: £0, £0, £0

5 Likes

Those would be £18, £153 and £1,503 to be precise, the note says inclusive of Stamp Duty. It would also be right to compare instant transactions for the sake of fairness.

Nevertheless, Freetrade is cheaper than everyone, I only do not quite understand why eToro’s “Zero commission and Zero stamp duty” leads to £43 charges (1.5%) in the £3,000 case :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

They have a email in the footer for anyone who disagrees with the numbers. Wonder where that leads to…

always read the small print!

Trading 212 is cheaper. Free ISA, free instant trades.