[Feature Request šŸ”§] Public API & Algo Trading

Dunno if Twitterā€™s API is the best example @heytokyo , because it looks a bit like Tw has gradually constrained theirs over the years to the point of diminishing its dev community :slight_smile: . But anyway you are right, APIs can be good and a multiplier. I believe an API is still in Freetradeā€™s plans.

Iā€™m still not sure what ā€œalgorithmic tradingā€ is. Is it something that would automate stock selection and portfolio construction for you?

ā€œa survey revealed that 80% of new investors wanted a trading botā€ - sounds interesting, can you link to the survey @changc ?

1 Like

Yes, Algorithmic Trading is about automatically executing orders based no a previously programmed strategy.

However, I totally agree with the idea of being able to automate trading even on a more basic level. Personally, I manage my portfolio through Google Sheets, which pulls live share prices and a few other useful values. So far, I use conditional formatting to give me buy/sell alerts, but then I need to do the trading myself. Sure, itā€™s not a big deal, but often I donā€™t notice, have time, procrastinate or for any other reason do not trade. Having an option to automate would be great.

2 Likes

I really want API access, and not even for algo trading. API access would let me pull details out to analyse my stock performance more easily.

Start small with the API, just read only to start with - current portfolio contents and activity would be enough for a lot of tasks.

10 Likes

Is there any idea of when this might be available? Even a rough timeline would be interesting to know!

1 Like

I want this too. I use FT right now to do my trades manually, but all my signals come from an app I built that runs my strategies (and backtests them). Not been doing this live for long so Iā€™m happy to do the orders by hand for now, but the goal is to cut myself out of the loop and let the app go straight to an API. Some traders might find automated trading a bit risky, but trust me - leaving me to do it by hand is riskier. ā€œSell!ā€ my system says (in a Stephen Hawking voice). ā€œOK,ā€ says I, ā€œI promise Iā€™ll sell in a minute, just let me see if it recoversā€¦ā€

1 Like

I heard about Numerai on the Lex Fridman podcast and thought those of you asking for algotrading might be interested:

2 Likes

I heard good thins about Coinrule, which helps you automate crypto trades. Does anyone know an equivalent product for stocks?

+1 having a trading API is the one thing I miss the most with FreeTrade; integration with a platform like QuantConnect or even TradingView would be a huge plus.

Iā€™d prefer FT adopting an industry standard API such as FIX API instead of creating a new API, itā€™d save both FT time and end user time. Thereā€™s also FIX SBE standard which is more efficient and reduces latency.

Interactive Brokers have a good API. They are generally a great platform with so many features.