Market Correction

After reading some posts here and listening to some investing podcasts the term ā€œmarket correctionā€ keeps croping up. Could some one explain exactly what this means please?

I understand that it is related to the share price changing but how is it different from just normal fluctuations in price that we expect to see?

Itā€™s just a term for a larger decrease in price of most or all shares.
People been talking about it for years, just ignore it. Nobody knows anything.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

I will ignore it when people mention it.

A correction is a 10% fall, it is a very specific circumstance.

1 Like

In the crypto world an example of when the term was used A LOT

Bitcoin jumped from circa 3k to circa 20k in a few monthsā€¦ possibly driven on by the hopes and dreams of the masses thinking their money would just multiplyā€¦
At some point some people with lots of bitcoin or lots of people with some bitcoin decided theyā€™d made gains and it was a safe time to sell and take their profitsā€¦ this triggered a very quick down turn, so the masses followed and continued the selling and bitcoin was back to sub 5kā€¦

So people would say the market corrected itself to a much more fathomable bitcoin price, not supported fully supported by the sheep

Now I have no idea if thatā€™s the correct use for the term but it lines up with Wikipedia ā€¦ and Iā€™m one of the sheep :wink:

So I think what people are saying right now is that because the market is and has been for a while very bullish (throw some cash at Tesla or Apple and youā€™d expect it to go up) it mirrors an environment which could experience a correction ā€¦ but as said before itā€™s hard to predict these things (well maybe not so much with the last bitcoin fall)

A market correction is a rapid change in the nominal price of a commodity, after a barrier to free trade has been removed and the free market establishes a new equilibrium price. It may also refer to several of these single-commodity corrections en masse, as a collective effect over several markets concurrently.

Some links below that might help:

1 Like