Plus: Stop Limit Order Type

I don’t think an Idea topic has been made for this but I’ve seen Help and Chat topics/posts asking for this feature.

A stop limit order is a combination of a stop order and a limit order. With a stop limit order, after a certain stop price is reached, the order turns into a limit order, and an asset is bought or sold at a certain price or better. These types of orders are ideal for traders and investors who prefer to make trades that have components of both stop orders and limit orders.

A stop-limit order requires the setting of two price points.

1. Stop: The start of the specified target price for the trade.
  2. Limit: The outside of the price target for the trade.

The primary benefit of a stop-limit order is that the trader has precise control over when the order should be filled. Stop and limit orders will come in great use when there are major market events that can occur at an instant. These events generally take all investors by surprise; however, having your trades safely in check will either lock in your set profit or close your position, should the event take your trades in a turn for the worst.

So, would this prevent big losses at poor liquidity times when a price suddenly drops dramatically below a set stop loss price and then immediately returns to near the original price? Would it only sell within a set range? Sorry, but as you can tell, I’m new to this!

Yes it would protect you from that scenario. It would only sell at the limit price or better

1 Like

In that case it’s a no brainer, the basic stop loss in the wrong circumstances is dangerous.

We really need this. I’ve lost money on triggered stop orders many times over the last few months because of a lack of a limit feature. This is really messing with my strategy!