REITs in ISAs - FreeTrade withholding tax reclaim notifications?

Hi
I was out and about otherwise I would have replied earlier, really sorry to hear this. Extremely poor but unfortunately this is just one, albeit an excellent, example of why I decided to turn FreeTrade from my ISA provider into my ex-ISA provider at the beginning of the 2023-24 tax year!

For the record, I ended up asking them for monthly statements as they said that the reclaims from REITs would appear there but that ended up being a saga in itself. The amounts didn’t appear in the first month, nor the second month despite them saying 30-60 days, only then did they say it may take over 90 days (so totally contrary to how they had phrased it in the app). When the refunds did appear in the statement, they were individual amounts totally unidentifiable as to which REIT or which transaction, so all you could see were a series of numbers. It was impossible to marry them up on an Excel spread sheet, not surprisingly what you were expecting and what you got didn’t tally!

When I switched to my new provider, I asked them if their process was equally convoluted because I was simply not going to bother buying REITs if that was the case. They said no, they didn’t withhold the tax in the first place. Like you said in the other thread, I don’t understand why other providers manage to do it without withholding the tax and, if they are going to withhold the tax, at least they should have the decency to reclaim it with a minimum of time and fuss and give you the ability to properly track which reclaims have been received and when!

5 Likes