🏹 Robinhood UK

A post was split to a new topic: Evarvest

Thanks for that, has brightened my morning after a stressful night shift :rofl:
Off to bed now. :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Just had someone from their research team call me as part of a marketing survey (or something?) about my experiences investing in the UK. I mentioned I used Freetrade and the rest of the interview devolved to talking about my experience there. Lots of focus on my experiences with trading in foreign currency (USD), how it works with Freetrade, how could the process be better, how transferring money from a bank account works, etc…

Edit: lol their department is called “Sherwood Research”. Scored a £50 Amazon gift card tho.

10 Likes

$363M last year and $200M coming this year.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-24/robinhood-is-set-to-raise-at-least-200-million-in-new-funding

2 Likes

Potential $10B valution :astonished:

Couldn’t help but think how much snoop dogg’s and nas’ shares are worth now. :rofl:

I know Nas invested at the Seed stage, then Series A as well. Queensbridge Venture Partners have invested in a lot of things. They have had some big exits.

Even Roc Nation who invested in Robinhood’s Series D last year would have done very well.

4 Likes

Nas must be in an N.Y.S.E State of Mind

11 Likes

Who knows someone will talk about FT in same lines few years down the line ;:star_struck: as long as FT keep attracting new users. I like their new referral scheme and sure it will attract a lot more user base…

1 Like

:popcorn:

Those big banks, however, may be able to weather these inefficiencies, according to the Chief Digital Officer of Morgan Stanley’s Wealth Management service, Naureen Hassan. “Our strategy is deep pockets,” said Hassan, referring to the banks’ ample resources. She added that the banks also have an advantage in that they don’t have the same customer acquisition costs as the startups.

This is a really strange comment, I’m willing to bet that Robinhood’s customer acquisition cost is far lower than Morgan Stanley’s.

2 Likes

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Their valuation is now $7.6bn.

3 Likes

Freetrade are gunna have quite a bit of competition if Robinhood do launch in the UK as well as Evarvest, Webull and M1. Commission free trading appears to be taking off.

6 Likes

$862 million in total fundraising so far, wonder how much they’ll raise going forward, and whether they plan on still IPOing ( fintech ) soon.

Besides this they’ve had impressive growth so far with 4 million customers putting them around the same size as ETrade ( source ). ETrade is worth over $11 billion as well. Robinhood has also past $150 billion in transaction volume. So all the metrics going in the right direction.

It seems like there’s lots of brokers popping up, Wealthsimple now offers free share trading in Canada. Then there’s a few in the UK, obviously Freetrade is leading the charge, but we also have Dabbl, plus a handful of others looking to launch, again ( fintech ) soon. All in all it’s a good time to be a investor.

1 Like

Absolutely, I think one of the best things that ever happened to Mondo was to have its name change forced. Seriously Monzo is 1,000 times better, it flows off the tongue and its use as a verb “I will Monzo you the money” makes it part of the language.

Freetrade brings to mind the right image, Robin hood just does not flow for me.

4 Likes

Banky McBankface would have been better

The banky website still exists

3 Likes

Robinhood fits the whole democratising investing message they’re pitching.

Lots of startup names sounded odd at first like Google, Ask Jeeves, Twitter… Revolut doesn’t roll off the tongue but they have a plethora of users.

I’d still rather Banky McBankface the dough…

4 Likes

Let’s be honest, if Robin Hood truly did exist he (she?) was probably just a theiving git with a good PR team.

Its not just pink but millennial pink!

“Millennial pink, otherwise known as blush or delicate pink, is the trend that simply will not go away. … And it’s a glorious time for anybody who reveled in shades of pink in their childhood”

1 Like

Millennial pink is baby pink

Conversely, choosing between opening an account with Starling or Monzo, I went with the former because in my mind, Monzo reminded me too much of Gonzo (from the Muppets).

2 Likes

A lot of people think I’m saying Stalin when I say Starling. People hear what they want to hear when they don’t know a word. I don’t think you can mix up Freetrade with anything else, let alone a murderous dictator. It’s a great name.

7 Likes