Trade Republic and Payment for Order Flow (PFOF)

@adam you must be pleased with this outcome?

6 Likes

Worth reading the statement and release in full, but for anyone who cba.

ESMA is of the view that, in most cases, it is unlikely that the receipt of PFOF by firms from third parties would be compatible with MiFID II. In addition, ESMA also addresses specific concerns regarding certain practices by zero-commission brokers.

ā€¦

ESMA is telling firms that they must thoroughly assess whether, by receiving PFOF, they are able to comply with relevant MiFID II requirements, most notably those on best execution, conflicts of interest, inducements and cost transparency.

ā€¦

4 Likes

In this context, ESMA requests National Competent Authorities (NCAs), especially in those
Member States in which PFOF has been observed, to prioritise this topic in their supervisory
activities for 2021 or early 2022.

There is a list of NCAs here: Board of Supervisors. It includes Bundesanstalt fĆ¼r Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht (BaFin) which I mentioned in my original post. It will be interesting to see what they do in 2021 and early 2022.

7 Likes

PFOF will hopefully join ranks of absurd telecom network roaming/banking fx fees/leveraged CFDs in the years to come.

Investing should be level playing field for everyone.

8 Likes

Roaming charges are creeping back in due to brexit. Bloody brexitā€¦

2 Likes

Now imagine the wholesaler also owns an investment bank who are massively short on a stockā€¦ :joy: :crazy_face:

1 Like

This relies on markets maintaining a material price discrepancy which just feels like an obvious arb opportunity.

In your example if you just add a second broker dealer participant itā€™s clear theyā€™d no longer be able to maintain a price materially above the ā€˜darkā€™ price (as a competitor would undercut to win the trade)

2 Likes

Yeah, when I read stuff like that I always wonder who is selling in the dark pools for less than they could get on the market and why would they do that?

I get that PFOF routes to a market maker that may not be the best price available, but the secret hidden better price stuff is a bit far fetched. It would require someone to be deliberately selling or buying at a worse price than the market just so the market maker could make money

2 Likes

Yeah, overall Iā€™m still on the fence for PFOF, although at this moment Iā€™d agree it creates potentially problematic incentives, but I disagree that other regulations (including existing ones) canā€™t resolve that without banning it entirely. Robust best execution regulation is important and if you get that right then PFOF becomes a non-issue in my eyes.

But any explanations that rely on other market participants leaving obvious money on the table out of ineptitude, benevolence or general lack of competition donā€™t change my views as I just donā€™t see people behaving like that. Lots of popular explanations for ā€˜badā€™ practices (not just PFOF) seem to rely on this.

2 Likes

That still doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s a secret ā€œrealā€ price. it just means they arenā€™t giving the customer best execution

In your example who is selling to them at the secret ā€œrealā€ price? because that is who is actually losing out in this scenario. Why would anyone do that deliberately?

It makes more sense if they were giving both sellers and buyers poor execution, thus artificially widening the spread

10 Likes

If I were Sequoia (I believe) who pumped big money into Trade Republic looking to make them the European Robinhood this would be very concerning. If TR are like RH itā€™ll make up the majority of their revenues.

2 Likes

Yeah that valuation was insanely high already even with PFOF. They were valued at ~90% of their AUA which is massive all I can think was that they are betting big on crypto + massive growth.

Itā€™d be interesting to see what a more reasonable value is without PFOF, maybe the FT funding raise will give us some clues but ~30% of AUA feels pretty generous and that would be a massive drop for TR.

2 Likes

I actually think the opposite is true, people are trying to move away from sensible metrics like % AUA to user-based metrics under the belief that customers are willing to spend disproportionate amounts to justify lofty valuations.

1 Like

Not sure how official/confirmed this is, but itā€™s definitely in line with expectations of prohibiting PFOF in Europe

10 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-09/eu-set-to-ban-trading-practice-helping-power-meme-stock-mania

6 Likes

Would be great to get a comment from the Freetrade team on this!

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The GME link was missing the point. The accusation during January was that Citadel, the hedge fund shorting GME were part of the same family as Citadel the market maker involved in PFOF, and were therefore colluding and passing information on about sales etc

They denied it, as this would be illegally abusing PFOF. Itā€™s a different argument to say PFOF is wrong even when done properly.

Not trying to defend it but felt it needed saying.

2 Likes

Let them keep PFOF if they think itā€™s so good but makes them disclose on all contract notes how much they were paid for routing your transaction. Sunlight is the best medicine, you watch how fast they create a reason why this wouldnā€™t be possible all the while claiming to be acting in the buyers best interest.

5 Likes