What would make you pay for Freetrade?

Nothing would make me pay for Freetrade.

In fact, it was because of Fee-trade I opted for Trading212 for their free ISA, substantially cheaper ccy conversion, more substantial stock universe, long term Andriod app and more verifiable track record.

2 Likes

Hope you have much success with your long term investing with them :+1:

3 Likes

@elliottm I came from the other direction. I was only on trading212 for a few months, but I really do not trust them.
Things I dislike about t212:

The minimum trade order size can vary. Sometimes itā€™s Ā£10 sometimes itā€™s Ā£50.

If you look at their comments on android, any time they are criticised they hyper defensively raise their FCA registration like its some sort of bullet proof shield without addressing any issues.

They have now started bombarding me with notification to try to tempt me into using CFDs (no thanks!)

And lastly the free share promotion they ran a few months ago. If you donā€™t log in every 3 months they reclaim the share or itā€™s current value. So anyone who had lots of referrals and then sold down their promo shares may have a nasty surprise in waiting in the futureā€¦

It was a shame, because other than those issues, I quite liked the platform.

8 Likes

I know they said they wonā€™t do it, but Iā€™d pay to be able to use Options. Other than that, there isnā€™t really any feature I want bad enough to pay for - ISAs are just a necessity so itā€™s a shame theyā€™re behind a paywall but I get they need to make money.

3 Likes

Could Freetrade do that within a market like the LSE? It could be possibly claimed they are recommending certain stocks to the free users, which is a big no-no.

I could see them fencing off markets e.g. the Premium members can invest in the USA or Europe etc.

1 Like

I can currently purchase Fractional shares with my Halifax share account. But its limited to UK shares.

Which basically works I buy Ā£20 of Company A shares, and after their fee which is Ā£2, I get Ā£18 of Company A shares, which could be 7.3765 or 0.675. Whatever fraction or multiple Ā£18 of the actual share price.

I use this as an example because Ā£20 is the minimum purchase.

3 Likes

Advanced portfolio analytics (Simply wall st style), enhanced notifications on corporate events & upcoming dividends, news on portfolio companies, ability to hold multi currency accounts

10 Likes

Fixed cost or max charge that would allow me to get 0 FX fees. Like Ā£10/20 per month capped.

5 Likes

A mystery share for a subscription, benefits for being a premium member over time, discounts on purchases, other nifty membership perks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™d pay a reasonable flat rate for these features (some of which are probably already mentioned)

1. Access to world exchanges like Taiwan, Japan, Australia etc.
  2. Nutmeg style automatic portfolio management
  3. ā€˜Advancedā€™ order types, limit order, stop loss etc.
  4. real time pricing feed
  5. In depth research and analytics
  6. Possibly the upcoming SIPP
5 Likes

Have to agree with the full dividend breakdown, Iā€™d happily boost my payment per month for that information.

Ex Dividend date, future payments, yield of portfolio, dividend income since inception, dividend income per year.

3 Likes

You can get some of these from other places. Thanks for @Marsares I started to use a combo of simply wall street, genuine impact and motley fool recently.

I had a look at Robinhood US and they have lots of free features like portfolio analysis and news. Donā€™t know when they launch what features they will have

Atom seems interesting as well, especially now theyā€™ll be launching a premium version soon which can be trialed free of charge initially. I made another post about it elsewhere:

Yes I started using it as well. A little bit overwhelmed because I think their features are more for professional investors who like to research things themselves. Sometimes I am lost of the data and news and donā€™t really know what to do then.

I am more ā€œtell me what to doā€ ā€œtell me what it meansā€ type of person so the ones I mentioned are quite fitting to me so far

Agree, it can be a bit rabbit caught in the headlight if youā€™re new to this.

One interesting feature of their new Atom+ offering would help though, it looks like theyā€™ll link news to significant movements in share price - which will help to understand why share prices move, and help you understand the mechanics of companies.

Iā€™ll probably use my own research and other tools to filter a short-list for companies, do a deep-dive with Atom and more desk research, but then keep tabs on companies by creating a watch list and a portfolio in Atom.

I think all this basic dividend info should be provided for everybody as itā€™s basic information about a security, I would not (and should not) pay a fee to gain access to what I can get from a basic Google search.

6 Likes

I think @vayaa is on the right track. A lot of info is already available for free and charging for services and data that rivals provide cheaper is a risky business for a startup.

But a membership perks model would do nicely. It brings to mind playstation plus, where even though the service was paid for people were happy to receive ā€œfreeā€ games monthly.

Freetrade should have a membership that includes lottery style winnings. Maybe merch, free shares, free entry into the next months membership. Members could have access to a leaderboard that ranks member investment performance etc.

A membership that is community spirited, especially as the community is one of FTs strongest points.

Microcap RSP stocks which are thinly traded are still expensive to buy and sell (even ignoring the spread). Ā£5-8 brokers offer these stocks but none of the discount disruptors do.

This used to get brought up on the Monzo forums as a potential thing for Monzo+ to have. It was never very popular for whatever reason.

Think Dozens does something like it.

Yeah, not a fan of paying for random stuff that you may never get. Iā€™d rather pay for useful functionality thatā€™s on 24/7.

8 Likes