Are you worried about the prospect of a Labour Government nationalising rail and energy companies?

Steve Eisman has some really interesting things to say about a Corbyn government. “I’m shorting two stocks in the U.K., but I’ve got a screen of about 50, and I might short all 50 if I think Jeremy Corbyn is going to be prime minister,”

4 Likes

Great interview - thanks for sharing! Some gems in there e.g. Tesla vs GM

3 Likes

Whether you think it’s a good move or not there are better ways of spending huge wodges of cash.

Do’h! I have NG shares. they pay a decent dividend. I don’t think they would get Nationalised even if Labour got in to be honest. I think rail would be a bigger target because it’s so obviously rubbish under private ownership

1 Like

Now Labour say they will Nationalise NG

I’m not sure how this will work as NG is now a Multinational company, surely they can’t fully nationalise it when it does business in the US?

Just like they cannot [should not] nationalise other utilities and railways, shares of which are owned by many national sovereign and pension funds, especially when we talk about expropriation at below-the-market level rather than purchase at a premium.

I personally see it as an unimplementable populist policy that aims to drag more attention to Corbin’s agenda. If he is to make it to No 10, I doubt that any such endeavour will be pursued as it will be devastating for the UK’s market and investors’ confidence.

1 Like

It’s not just that they are part Foreign owned, they actually operate parts of the US electricity grid. We can’t nationalise the US electricity grid! how is that gonna work?

They would have to split it up I guess?

Foreign nationalised companies run UK infrastructure too. National Grid would not need to split if nationalised.

Abellio is an arm of the Dutch state. RATP is an arm of the French state. France has a large stake in EDF.