Best & Worst Investments šŸ’ø

I did something similar to your friend this year, got a nice little bonus from work (thanks to Trumpā€™s tax cut apparently) that I used to buy Freetrade shares last month :smiley:

Editing to state the obvious here: Fingers crossed itā€™ll pay off like your friendā€™s apple shares did!

3 Likes

Here here. Iota coin excited me. It went from $0.8 to $4 pretty much overnight (slight over exaggeration). Anywayā€¦ I heard something big was coming - ā€œit was the new bitcoinā€. Jokes on meā€¦ itā€™s currently at $0.9 :nauseated_face:

Safe to say iā€™ve lost all interest in crypto - canā€™t do it to myself!

2 Likes

I think this is the central problem with cryptos at the moment. Each cryptoasset is underpinned by a distributed app that is there to do a job or solve a problem. But the distributed apps havenā€™t proven themselves, or if they have they havenā€™t in a way that makes it obvious how you could start to put a fair value on them or their cryptoasset.

Eg Bitcoin certainly has some success, but it seems to me that its job is ā€œuncensorable payments/moneyā€ or something like that, and thatā€™s a use which doesnā€™t seem to be growing particularly (please correct me if Iā€™m wrong!) That job also got muddied a bit last year as investors bid the price up and everyone stopped using btc to buy pizzas.

Eg Ethereumā€™s job is ā€œyou can make your own distributed appsā€, but again itā€™s a bit unclear what value those distributed apps have yet.

So buying cryptos ends up feeling and looking more like speculating or betting than investing at the moment. Of course, this could well all change in time, and massively. Just feels like theyā€™re not there yet.

3 Likes

Oh and please, someone, educate me :slight_smile: Iā€™d like to be wrong about that ^

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s a good job I didnā€™t tell you guys about the time I got a royalty payment and spent most of it on an Aibo.

I mean, how could a two grand robot dog not shoot up in value? They sold 3,000 of them in 17 seconds! Michael Jackson had one!

Another partial success.

4 Likes

Certainly one of the more niche alternative investmentsā€¦ :joy:

4 Likes

How did you get to invest in tandem?

It was on Seedrs, and what feels like a long time ago.

Best: Revolut - 4x ROI
Worst: YOYOW, ETH needed to swap funds around lost 30%

2 Likes

So I reported Sound Energy Plc as one of my worse investmentsā€¦ well fingers crossed but looks like it might turn into a great investment! Their last drill showed gas and they have had a substantial recovery from a pitifully low sp.

Letā€™s see what this year brings.

My average is 25 but still a sore one seeing it crash down from 100ā€¦

1 Like

My average is about 45p :frowning: So still down. I try not to look too often so I will turn off again for another few months.

The SOU forum on the LSE site is always livelyā€¦

1 Like

No! I donā€™t want to get caught in the trap again of constantly checking the price and reading the ramping/deramping.

Just going to wait for the RNSā€™ and leave it at that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like