Buy Limit Order/Stop Loss not Executed

Im not sure what you mean here? You will get the best market price at the time of execution. a limit order is not a market order to buy or sell for that price, its an order to send an order to sell or buy once the market hits the appropriate buy or sell price.

No one guarantees price on these order types. I think youā€™re misunderstanding how orders on the market are made?

2 Likes

I meant buying & selling in real time. But there is no real time, as everything is laggingā€¦
The prices are delayed - although you check the stock price on TradingView, is not yet updated on Freetradeā€¦

So, thatā€™s what I meant - Iā€™d recommend you to read some reviews on Trustpilot & see the discrepancies in prices some people have purchased their stocks at

buying and selling is in real time. youā€™re talking about the on screen indicative pricing which is just indicative, all on screen pricing even live pricing is indicative. Itā€™s also doesnā€™t matter at all for limit orders since youā€™re setting a price in advance that you want to trigger an event on, youā€™re not making any decision based on any graph.

its a little more important for instant orders, but for long term investors really not that much of a difference.

ultimately nothing you describe there has any bearing on this topic or your limit orders.

2 Likes

I had to create an account to comment on this.

The limit orders are working exactly as intended.

Please read up on ask, bid and mid price.

Stop losses arenā€™t guaranteed to execute - again read this up.

This is stock investing 101 which everyone should learn before investing their hard money.

Itā€™s like blaming the car manufacturer if you canā€™t drive or canā€™t read/understand the road signs.

This is basics so please educate yourself as no platform will do that for you.

5 Likes

I was talking about the Instant Order, in my previous reply.
Regarding the delays in price, slow updates & differences after purchaseā€¦

The entire thread is about limit ordersā€¦

Simon, then showing one price is completely misleading. Right?

Probably better spreads to know where youā€™re staying.

P.S.By having no guarantees for stop loss orders, itā€™s almost like saying the car manufacturer wonā€™t guarantee you that the breaks will work)

I suggest you read this.

You had an buy limit order for 3700 at 133p. Say 1 was available at that price before the price rose above 133 again. Tell me how you expect to get the remaining 3699 at 133p using a buy limit order.

3 Likes

Fair point, Jim. Although it means that these features arenā€™t feasible. And pointless then

1 Like

Indeed. I was only bringing in the other things Freetrade needs to work on.

I thought by introducing the Plus version, will gear more towards active traders, rather than the initial platform for investors.

My mistake ā€¦

Sadly I think this entire thread is indicative of a certain section of the general public, who have jumped into share dealing without doing any research other than reading a reddit post or watching a youtube video. (I spent a year on the sidelines, reading, watching before I dipped my toe)

Whilst I think itā€™s great that share dealing is being opened up to the wider population, (I wish freetrade had been around 30 years ago, when I was in my 20ā€™s, Iā€™d be a multi-millionaire by now), I do wish that people would do more due diligence when it comes to investing their hard earned cash.

Failure to do the simplest bits of research is why you get posts like this, and negative reviews on Trust Pilot et al.

At least this thread has some use in helping to educate newbies, so itā€™s not all bad.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a newbie @HighlandTigerā€¦sorry to disappoint you.
Iā€™ve doubled my portfolio on this platform and tripled another one on a diff platform - Weā€™re talking tens of thousands Ā£Ā£Ā£
So, no need to be patronising.

Iā€™m writing from the perspective of a newbie who pays for the Plus version, but nothing is ā€˜guaranteedā€™- itā€™d be clearer for everyone to have 2 diff prices - like on other platforms, i.e.Trading 212

Then you wonder, whatā€™s the point of having one un-indicative stock price, delayed by 15 minutes? ā€¦
Completely useless

Freetrade is built for investors so for most the mid price is ā€œfineā€ - yes the spread for some can be quite big and there is no guarantee on the execution price but do I care if itā€™s a few p when Iā€™m holding for the long term and will to be topping up/buying more monthlyā€¦ Nope

If you want to day trade Trading212 is your platform

1 Like

Indeed @Nicko. In fact, when Iā€™ve signed up to FT, Iā€™ve read about the platform being more oriented for investors.
But now with FT Plus, I hoped itā€™ll cater for active traders, as well.

1 Like

if you are not a newbie, then why do you have difficulties in understanding the differences between basic orders, limit orders and triggered orders?

In my 6 decades on this planet, Iā€™ve often come to the conclusion that people who need to boast about their financial prowess online, are often discovered to found exaggerating somewhat.

Oh well. Good luck in your future financial endeavors.

1 Like

@HighlandTiger Iā€™m not boasting about my financial prowess online.
You were patronising & I was making a point - because most of the ā€˜expertsā€™ online who come up to advise/recommend, their portofolios are in ā€˜Redā€™.

Secondly, for the Plus Membership, I thought weā€™d get more than this:

ā€œWe do not guarantee that an Instruction will be sent or that an order will execute for a Limit and Stop Loss Order type, even if the observed price of the Security reaches the Buy Limit Price, Sell Limit Price or Stop Price.ā€

ā€¦more options to trade.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to reply and good luck with your investments

It really is that simple.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.