ETF's Vs Individual stocks

I’m just trying to get a clear picture on what would be better. I watched on YT some guy saying he only invests in ETF’s to accumulate alot of passive income but am I correct in saying unless you start off with Major > $$$ to invest in, its not worth it? I presume they are safer though.

ETF investing is the smart choice at all levels of starting wealth and income. Read ‘a random walk down wallstreet’.

4 Likes

I’ll have to look into that, thanks Seb. I was learning about Individual stocks but I have no clue about ETF’s

1 Like

You might find this useful:

4 Likes

Just invest in a wide ranging ETF like VWRL. Look at the recent Sirius thread…people bullish then it tanks & they go quiet while others who invested now have no idea whether the stock is a dead horse or a chance to buy at a discount. You can read all you want but you’re unlikely to be a Warren Buffett over 20 years

1 Like

I think overall ETF is safer but lower returns, personally I love risks.

2 Likes

I’ve heard 14 black is good. Add oil :smiley:

2 Likes

Funds are where the vast majority of my wealth is. Mainly Vanguard LifeStrategy which isn’t done as an ETF and therefore not on Freetrade (yet?!). Some Fundsmith Equity as well but I’m lowering my position there.

I believe that diverse funds are the way to build a sensible portfolio. Throw in some single company stocks for funsies sure, as that’s what I do. Mainly companies which I believe in personally, or have some connection to (so I bought some TSLA a while back as I am keen on the electric car market).

I am not an advisor, so don’t take my word for it, etc.

1 Like

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but B. Graham in his Intelligent Investor suggests something around 70% of your investment portfolio in ETF’s.

Especially with the markets being a drunk mess at the moment, ETF’s can give you good diversification without needing to put massive amounts of money in dozens of different companies