[Feature Request 🔧] Cryptocurrency support

Did not expect crypto that early but thats great news hopefully they can fully deliver. Looking to expand my crypto holdings seeing as my ISA is full.

5 Likes

It won’t be ‘full’ crypto to start as you’ll not have a wallet or be able to send / receive coins. You will be able to get exposer if you’re new or just want it all in one place. I’ll be selling my Coinbase holdings and re buying in Freetrade as I was exposure more than the actual coins

3 Likes

I will be doing similar and sending my Etoro over to here if they do this as that is the main reason I started there ages ago. Most of the stocks I have there are now here but just need that Nat Dec to make it perfect.

4 Likes

Don’t think I would move my entire crypto portfolio to Freetrade as I like to keep it on several platforms due to lack of regulation and FSCS insurance compensation

4 Likes

Great :clap:

1 Like

Interesting. Be disappointing if it’s not a proper wallet with ability to stake etc. and just a Revolut style offering. Has this been confirmed?

Duncan and Caitlin from the product team said at the community meet up that this is initially how it’ll be rolled out, it’s to enable users exposure to crypto as part of a balanced portfolio as opposed to a fully functional crypto wallet. If / when it’ll pivot to include further features wasn’t mentioned.

3 Likes

Just seems a missed opportunity not to progress down the full wallet route when so many of the new coins require staking to earn interest. But at least they getting the ball rolling.

3 Likes

What’s the position with Crypto in ISA?

Legal bitcoin gains that hmrc can’t touch sounds almost too good to be true

2 Likes

It currently remains too good to be true, no crypto asset or derivative can currently be held in an ISA.

The only way you can have some form of exposure in an ISA would be by buying stocks in a company such as a crypto miner.

1 Like

Or a crypto exchange

1 Like

Seems that way. Cheers!

Another one leaving FB/Meta to join Freetrade?

“While there’s still so much to do right on the heels of launching Novi – and I remain as passionate as ever about the need for change in our payments and financial systems – my entrepreneurial DNA has been nudging me for too many mornings in a row to continue ignoring it,” Marcus said in a tweet thread announcing his departure.

@nickfell what’s the scoop?

4 Likes

How do go about this today? i.e. staking or any other mechanism for earning yield?

Or Silvergate Capital - provides banking to crypto exchanges. There may be other, similar, companies.

Yet another crypto horror story :grimacing: A brave move for a company to enter this sphere.

2 Likes

Lol beat me to it on the other thread

2 Likes

Poor guy still looking for his bitcoins.

3 Likes

Exposure similar to the PayPal app method? Freetrade owns the crypto in your behalf idea?

1 Like

That was my understanding from the community meet-up.

I’m speaking for myself here - The crypto they’ll offer will for exposer rather than utility - I wouldn’t expect the features of a wallet.

I’d be very happy to hold some of my big 5/10 coins in the same place as my other investments. They just need to integrate/ buy Crowdcube and I’d be over the moon!

4 Likes