Forum AMA with Duncan Leslie, Freetrade VP Product, Fri 5th Nov, 1 PM

The feature I’m most looking forward to is bringing trading of European stocks to Freetrade customers. Aside from being able to unlock vastly more stocks for you to invest in, this project is the result of us doing things the hard way - investing in building the core trading technology that allows us to connect directly to stock exchanges and clearing houses.

The reason I’m excited by this (aside from a personal interest in nerding out on market infrastructure) is that it’ll form the foundation of how we can connect to basically any stock market in future, globally. By taking the time to do it right, it takes a little longer, but it will allow us to scale our product much more in future.

We’re testing European stock trading right now, so keep an eye out for this very soon.

To your second question, the future feature I believe will be of most benefit is what we call Autopilot. This is the ability to set up automatic plans to invest monthly into portfolios set up however you want.

The reason I believe this is important is because, as Nick Fell said in his AMA last week, there are psychological and physical barriers to people investing, and we know there are people who want to start investing but don’t know where to start. Autopilot will help us bridge that gap and give everyone a place to start, helping us on our mission to get everyone investing.

And for people already investing regularly, it allows them to do so more easily, with more automation and more control. Win win!

21 Likes