Freetrade Competitors

At a rough estimate youā€™re probably going to need it to rise 35-40% from here to make a profit, as youā€™ll pay similar commission on the sell side as well

When I was using HL I used their regular savings feature as the commission was a lot less. I would just change the instructiion to queue up whatever I wanted to buy that month

3 Likes

As freetrade becomes more developed, alot of those hl users will come over to us :grin:

2 Likes

I do think DEGIRO are a major European competitor. Iā€™ve been impressed with them so far and they show a great portfolio view on desktop. You can see your whole portfolio on one screen

Also they offer margin very easy to people at 4%. So for traders thatā€™s a bonus

The way they deal with dividends is amazing. Shows the tax, dollar amount and the base currency, in my case Euro. They appear in the dividends section when they go ex-div. Iā€™ve yet to receive the below dividend but I know exactly what itā€™s going to be and the tax etc.

3 Likes

I had a HSBC trading account for 2 years, Ā£12.50 per buy/sell, so I never bought or sold anything, as each time I did the maths (with my small investment amount) it didnt made sense :slight_smile: Now thanks to freetrade within last year I have built a decent portfolio , as without fees or very reasonable instant trade fee , I can finally invest even with my small monthly amounts.

16 Likes

Just got this email:

Hi Cameron,

Put the kettle on. Stake will be launching in Beta phase in the UK within days.

While other people will have to refer a friend to get in, as a member of our waitlist, youā€™ll get direct access on Day 1.

Once in, youā€™ll be able to:

• Digitally create an account and be in the US stock market in minutes.
  • Get unlimited commission-free trades.
  • Directly invest in over 3,500 US Stocks and ETFs including Tesla, Amazon and Google.
  • Buy fractional shares. Thatā€™s any dollar amount of any share.
  • Day trade on unsettled funds.
  • Share your feedback directly with us.

Hereā€™s a sneaky little preview from inside the Stake App.

So stay tuned for an email from us shortly and get ready to join Stake.

Cheers,

The Stake Team

Didnā€™t even remember signing up to this :sweat_smile:

3,500 US stocks and ETFs on launch though :exploding_head: and fractional support!

Not commission free though, basic plan allows 2 free trades a month and then $5 per trade after that + no fractional or you can subscribe to the unlimited plan for $9/month for unlimited free trades, fractionals, advanced order types, priority access to new listings and ā€˜priority customer supportā€™.

Other than the wide range of US stocks and ETFs available, I donā€™t really see too many advantages here.

Check them out at hellostake.com

EDIT: The only way of funding your account right now is wiring USD to them for a $5 fee :joy:

2 Likes

Presumably thatā€™s just fractionals on US shares?

is it all US shares?

Yeah, only US

I hadnā€™t heard of Stake before, looks interesting.
But I donā€™t see how they will be able to compete with the other low cost / free brokers with that pricing structure. Maybe if they dropped the commission down to $1 a trade they might stand a chance.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a big typo there.

Most of my portfolio is UK listed, maybe 10-15% is US. all US stocks is no good to me

1 Like

I think this sort of model has been destroyed now.

1 Like

Is there FX on every trade like on FT?

I had a look at these guys a while back as my buddy uses them in Australia. I would be very interested in the US market if there is not FX on every trade like FT and also to cut out stamp duty costs on my UK stocks.

Does anyone know what the story is?

FTSE100 is the green line. Over 5 years vs S&P 500 (blue) and Nasdaq (pink):

1 Like

Only when topping up the USD account. And the full costs are shown.

The 2nd tier is $9 a month and free until summer. The starter pack has unliminted free trades too. Stake pricing and fees | Stake

I know that, but Iā€™m making a couple of hundred a month in dividends on average. FTSE 100 yields are much higher that S&P average yield

meanwhile I do have a few Nasdaq stocks, and an S&P ETF.

Thatā€™s amazing @Dave . If you have some tips on which companies you picked for div yield investing thatā€™d be wicked.

I just have a wide range, insurance companies, banks, oil companies, utilities, pharma. Iā€™m going for diversification. Most of them are FTSE 100. I havenā€™t really got any big secret investing strategy

I also have some dividend focused etfs

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts March 20

Sorry, we donā€™t do referral links.

Dave how much do you have invested to achieve 100+ per month in dividends

Obviously I know there is alot of variables but just thinking about a ball park figure to aim for

Iā€™m glad you have managed to achieve this with most UK Stocks as well which is potentially a undervalued market.