Freetrade Competitors

Be interesting to hear too.

If you assume a fully diversified portfolio invested just in the ftse 100 which currently yields around 5% then a portfolio of Ā£48k would get you a couple of hundred pounds per month.

Of course if you invest in a fewer number of higher yielding companies then you can do it for less than that but then the risks of dividend cuts etc start to affect alot more.

Iā€™ve put about Ā£51K in. I havenā€™t worked out the average divis per month exactly, a good month can be over Ā£400, Feb was a bit rubbish, less than Ā£100. Iā€™d guess the average is around Ā£200 though

6 Likes

All of the ones listed arenā€™t really comparable to Freetrade are they?

My understanding is that the likes of HL are so costly for people, unless you have a really large holding itā€™s not going to be beneficial for you.

Iā€™d put the likes of Freetade in line with Trading212 - Plus500 or most like RobinHood (though thatā€™s not available in the UK yet).

Surely Freetrade blows all of the others out of the water when it comes to cost of using the platform? Then again Iā€™m new to all of this so I may be confused or just not have a great understanding of the different platforms.

Established platforms can be cheaper than Freetrade under certain circumstances. For example if you want to start an ISA the platform fee at Freetrade is fixed at Ā£36/year. If your portfolio is small and you are only interested in investing in funds it can be cheaper at % based platforms that donā€™t charge fees for fund dealing (e.g. Vanguard Investor & HL). Also, some other platforms have no platform fee and only have dealing charges which can be cheaper if you make no more than a handful of trades per year (iWeb).

Even in circumstances where they are not cheaper some may still choose to go with an established platform for various reasons. For example:

• Features that are not available at Freetrade, such as investing via website and phone support.
  • More extensive info about individual stocks and funds available on the platform.
  • Stocks or funds that are not available at Freetrade, such as OEIC funds
  • They havenā€™t heard of Freetrade
  • Theyā€™re not willing to trust a startup with their money.
1 Like

$67 million funding just raised. App looks very similar to Robinhoods

But 1ā‚¬ per trade, roughly like freetrade when they started.
And Germany doesnā€™t have anything like ISAs so the same business model as freetrade cannot be directly applied.

Definitely agree with them on the quote. ā€˜ā€˜We believe brokerage is poised for disruption driven by technology and automationā€™ā€™ . I think this is where we will see the companies who can endure and become the big players in the space.

1 Like

are they entering UK anytime?

Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s enough to dismiss them. We could say the same thing for Robinhood not having ISA accounts. We will eventually see them as huge competitors. I feel the current condition for competition can cause some complacency and freetrade is also still a startup figuring this out. But I wouldnā€™t be dismissive of any future competitors when the space is still for the taking. I feel freetrade should assume everyone coming into the space will be very technologically and innovation driven with huge backing.

Of course itā€™s not enough to dismiss them. No idea where you read that in my post :smiley:
I literally just described the situation.

Any news on their valuation?

It looks like 240m EUR post-money; but not confirmed.

2 Likes

Cheers Manu. What are their user numbers like?

Very interesting link. Worth translating. Thanks. A good marker for VC interested in the sector and competition.

Theyā€™ve managed to get on board some strong VC names in Series B. Most likely itā€™ll emerge in a way that every country ends up having its own Freetrade, so European expansion for Freetrade in the first place is a bit of a tricky proposition in terms of value creation if it happens later rather than sooner.

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: [On :freetrade:] Hargreaves Lansdown - Ā£HL

Here are some copycats:

2 Likes

T212 up to 700,000 funded Invest / ISA accounts and claiming to be adding a number of users equivalent to FTā€™s entire client base every monthā€¦ Not sure where theyā€™re getting the figures from mind youā€¦ (thin air?)

edit: theyā€™ve added 400,000 funded account users in the last 149 days, 2,684 a day.

I believe that in the long run, the vast majority of people using Freetrade, T212, AJBell, Hargreaves Lansdown, ii, ig, Vanguard, Revolut, or any other broker for that matter, will be wise to keep accounts open with several different providers at any given time. Why?! To benefit from the 85k protection granted to an account per provider. If I ever get to Ā£100k Iā€™ll have it in 3 or 4 different brokers. Thinking of it I already am using 4 different providers and Iā€™m not even close to Ā£100k

I honestly donā€™t get all this fussā€¦ It does seems telling though

1 Like

That Ā£85k is only relevant to cash right? Our holdings should be safe regardless of FTā€™s finances.

Granted I will probably open other accounts, especially SIPPs (which may be cash heavy at times) but Iā€™m not too concerned about the Ā£85k limit. When fees follow a flat rate itā€™s best value when you have a larger account.