Freetrade Competitors

Is it alpaca making the trades on Equiduct, or Lightyear
 their terms and documents seem to suggest Lightyear don’t touch the actual trading but are just the middle man between us and alpaca ultimately

Screenshot from Equiduct:

Other partners/clients include Interactive Brokers and Fineco Bank.

1 Like

Alpaca is US equities only according to their website. Think LY needs to update their terms

Mine only lists European ADRs on US exchanges
 do you have an example stock? Id love to dig into it more

E.g. LVMH traded on Euronext Paris

1 Like

interesting, i don’t have that listed. Having a look it seems their European launch is new, so im guessing its not rolled out across the board yet

How is freetrade planning on responding to new and upcoming investing apps such as Evarvest in the UK that offer fee free trading, 8000+ stocks on launch and an in app news feed.
Are you planning on ramping up the pace at which you get your investment platform up and running so you no longer have to rely on CDI’s in order to remain competitive?

1 Like

See this for the plans: https://www.notion.so/6f1f87c6027642639ab342e7c161f8b8?v=663c5caa208d4b2ba91a29bbf1b968a3

2 Likes

Yes the cards in Next Up aren’t yet a Work In Progress.

The cards move from right to left as they get closer to completion, which is slightly unusual to be fair :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a good quote from an Evarvest chat below, I don’t think you can compare against a business which has only ambitions yet.

FT mentioned they’ve paused adding stocks to focus on finishing off the new platform :+1:t3:

3 Likes

When i first read the title of this thread i thought it was about an actual competition. Thinking oohhh i might enter and win some free shares in a company then was disappointed it was about a different type of competition lol. Maybe Freetrade should launch a competition. Any voters agree!!!

4 Likes

Copycats:

PayPal is exploring a stock-trading platform for its U.S. customers

i noted
"
In order to offer stock trading to customers, it’s possible PayPal partners with or buys an existing broker-dealer as part of this plan. According to one source, PayPal has held already discussions with potential industry partners.

Still, one source familiar said it was unlikely that the trading service would roll out this year."

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: How brokerages make money - or why payment for deal flow is OK

As for me Interactive brokers are cheaper for all accounts now, but they just do not have transfer option yet

Also new InvestEngine are cheaper too

1 Like

And this is a good thing.

InvestEngine. You’ll probably find they add more paid options as time goes on (they’ll have to) however, they have a specific market, namely those looking only to invest in ETFs or managed portfolios.

Likewise interactive brokers also uses a different pricing model, and has a large number of account types and fee structures. Their ISA from what i remember has a ÂŁ3 a month platform fee, free if you make trades, but trades are also ÂŁ3 per trade minimum. They also only allow one withdrawal per month free, and subsequent withdrawals are ÂŁ7.

Different options for different needs and the best option will depend on the individuals requirements

4 Likes

IB have ÂŁ3 pee trade only for UK/EU stocks, while US stocks start from just USD 0.005 per share.
Also
IBUK will automatically convert currencies when trading non-GBP denominated securities. To do this, IBUK will engage in “spot” currency transactions on your behalf in order to settle your buy orders or convert the proceed of a sell order. IBUK will base the exchange rate off the spot exchange rate at the time of trade 0.03% fee.

And let’s remember that you have access to all markets - HK, Australia, Japan, Singapore, etc

its $0.005 per share, with a minimum of $1 per trade + regulatory fees unless you choose to use their other fee structure which has an entirely different set of fees.

As i said, different things for different people. a fixed fee platform has benefits and drawbacks just as a tried and % fee platform has its own.

Of course, IB has been around for over 40 years they have a well matured platform. (they of course all have their own separate fee structures that youll need to calculate)

Id be interested to know what you’re looking at in terms of trades per month, etc. that IB has come out cheaper?

3 Likes

For US stocks IB will be much cheaper. So I think they are a great choice for those who prefer active trading.

My personal choose is passive investing so InvestEngine will be better choice. Unfortunately I do not need anything from freetrade in terms of paid features except for trades/commissions cost.

Anyway I prefer to stay with FT for now.

1 Like

IB is an interesting one. If you are into US stocks and heavily into them, they may be cheaper.

I suspect about 15-20% of my portfolio is US and 5% is EU. The rest is UK. If you are into a lot of UK stuff the ÂŁ3 fee per trade might not be great.

IB will work for some and not others

1 Like