Freetrade Competitors

The CEO is from Estonia.

Sounds similar to Evarvest which is based in Lithuania and raised on Seedrs but hasn’t launched yet. Looks a little better though.

However, Evarvest is essentially bankrupt, so not really a competitor anymore.

3 Likes

This one is about to launch in Europe too, presumably in France first
https://joinshares.io/

Not sure I like the idea of following my contacts investments and vice versa :joy: :man_facepalming:

It seems crazy to think one would launch a product with an undifferentiated value proposition 5 years later (Lightyear promises better prices, but it likely won’t last).
But then Bumble. And then Public.com.
I guess it’s been proven that when the market is huge you can turn a me-too product into a unicorn.

2 Likes

Some of old gits remember when Yahoo was a more popular search engine than google, you don’t necessarily need to be first

6 Likes

Stake has been down all day so far. Interestingly, this happened last time GME went crazy too:

1 Like

Yeah, Yahoo was the hipster upstart competitor to Altavista.

1 Like

28th Jan 21 …

OK, the first time GME went crazy, not the last time. Either way, the Stake app is still down.

Competition is always good. It’s healthy to validate competence in the market which is always good for consumers. It’s interesting they are talking about intuitive tools which I’ve been echoing for so long that freetrade should build. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these companies are scanning the community looking for pain points to build within their platform to gain competitive edge.

1 Like

Bit of a buzz around this one I believe.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Martin Sokk, co-founder and CEO of Lightyear, worked at Wise between 2012 and 2017. He held various roles, such as head of product, head of people and head of operations. Mihkel Aamer, Lightyear’s other co-founder and CTO, was an engineering lead at Wise between 2013 and 2019.

from Lightyear is a new stock trading app from early Wise employees | TechCrunch

Wise is TransferWise by the way.

“Customers won’t pay any account fees, trading fees and foreign exchange fees. But there will be a limit on foreign exchange fees. After £3,000 per month, users will pay 0.35% in FX fees.”

Hmmmm

How can they make any money whatsoever?

Doesn’t feel sustainable

5 Likes

They can’t, unless they scale to a gazillion users, which they probably won’t because they’re late to the party. So pricing will get a nice upgrade just when users least expect it :upside_down_face:
You should think of their current pricing as a marketing tactic to lure initial customers into adopting the app.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the best alternative to FT for the options/rights to be gained from SPAC deals etc? I’m not talking about voting rights but the actual monetary value benefits :+1: I was going to move all my money into FT but think I will now get another account purely for certain stocks.

Degiro is probably your best bet for SPAC warrants (assuming that’s what you are looking for)

1 Like