Freetrade Competitors

Top man :+1: I have a Etoro account but never used as I stuck with FT so I was thinking maybe use that as they managed to get votes for GME so thought they may offer other rights etc but will have a look at Degiro.

And yes it is for SPAC type deals as I just want to know I get the benefits and with so many SPACs nowadays god knows how many different options come out of them :joy:

3 Likes

Not being funny but why is there a link to a competitor in the title of this thread?

1 Like

I think itā€™s an automatic feature of the forum software when the first post includes a link.

:eyes:

2 Likes

Another player enters the spread betting / CFD / broker space. Itā€™s going to be a test of the Freetrade plan to shun the risky more exotic elements in favour of long term relationship and longer time horizons.

1 Like

It may be a good move though to stay in stable investments as the problem with so many new platforms is there will be many losers as everyone canā€™t just win money. It does feel like the sports betting crowd are moving into another area considered investing rather than gambling.

I closed my betting accounts and invest long term but I know a few lads who now treat meme stocks as a visit to the bookies and donā€™t see them going back until they lose big time. They may win on GME for example but will then expect same results on other stocks I am guessing as they donā€™t really DYOR and just follow social media a little. :man_facepalming:

Does anyone know why Stake watch out for Pattern Day Trading and restrict the account if you do this more than 3 times in a 5 day period, seemingly even if you donā€™t use margin they say this is imposed on them by DriveWealth.

On the other hand, Freetrade which also uses DriveWealth doesnā€™t have this restriction. Anyone know why? Is it just because Stake can offer margin even if you donā€™t use it, so all accounts are flagged as such, and Freetrade is exempt because it doesnā€™t offer margin, or is it that Freetrade isnā€™t checking this when it should?

The rules would seem to suggest that it applies to all accounts with less than $25k, regardless of whether margin is being used or not, which seemsā€¦ odd.

Stakeā€™s page: Stake | Support knowledgebase and FAQs

Wikipedia says it only applies to margin accounts, which makes it odd then that Stake always apply the rule: Pattern day trader - Wikipedia

1 Like

Could be because the brokerage account is held in the US? I would imagine there could be similar restrictions if Freetrade allow dollars to be held.

2 Likes

Good point, hadnā€™t even considered that!

Charles v Payne calling out trading 212 on there new terms and conditions the Apes are not happy :rofl:. Trading 212 taking another hit from unhappy customers.

8 Likes

New player joins the game has anyone downloaded the app

https://twitter.com/InvestAries/status/1410038220512022531?s=19

I did and then it redirected me to Tradestation when I wanted to sign up. Soā€¦are they just a UX over Tradestation or their own brokerage? Kind of confusing messaging and barely any info available publicly.

Interestingā€¦

Yeah it looks interesting need to look into more but looks like it could be a big player they have launched globally.They already have some updates planned plus crypto coming soon too.

I tried to create a Trade Republic account out of an urge to understand what the fuss is all about, but they didnā€™t let me. Iā€™m a bi-national and they said I needed to contact the Spanish consulate and ask them for a Spanish ID, then supply that second ID to them in addition to the French one Iā€™d already given them. Sounds like compliance has won over product internally.

Anyway! A friend of mine just showed me the Trade Republic app and I played around with it for a while. What I can say is this: itā€™s a super minimalist and serious app. It makes for a great experience if I come in knowing what shares I want to buy. And thatā€™s about it really. Thereā€™s nothing exciting nor fun about it. Very little is done in the way of educating me about sectors or new cos I could be interested in. As a Trade Republic user, I donā€™t feel like I could ever love the product in the way I love Lemonade or Revolut. They really fail at creating that positive emotional reaction Iā€™ve felt when using many other products from startups. If their mission is ā€œmake everyone an investorā€, then they might hit a deadlock at some point. No chance my sister or my mom will use the product in its current form, and chief among the many reasons for that is the primary color they chose for their UI! Why pick black? It immediately makes me feel like Iā€™m entering the world of a platform for professional traders.

1 Like

:eyes: what happened to them?

1 Like

Iā€™ll be honest, Iā€™m surprised anyone reads their terms and conditions considering a lot of people make incorrect assumptions about them

Hadnā€™t seen it probably something to do with all the spamming they where doing on other trading platforms twitter accounts.

1 Like

1 Like